Phoktey Dara trek is the Best option for 2019 trekking in Sikkim. Phoktey Dara Trek lies in Uttarey, Singalila Range of Sikkim with Versey & Sandakphu Phalut Trek. Phoktey Dara passes through an elevation of 3733 mt in Uttarey, Sikkim. Here you can have tremendous views of Mt. Everest, Mt. Dhaulagiri, Mt. Makalu, Mt. Lhotse, Mt. Nuptse & Khangchendzonga.
About Phoktey Dara (Sikkim)
Primarily a trek through a jungle is what is waiting for you at Phoktey Dara Trek. You will get to see a picturesque view of mountain ranges in the Nepal Sikkim border. Camping in tents and staying inside tree houses this is the perfect adventure that you were searching for. You will also get to see the famous Barsey Rhododendron Sanctuary which is known for its thick forest covers and Rhododendron blooms. Not just that, you will get to see various kinds of forests like Wet Temperate Forests, Mixed Coniferous Forests, Sub-alpine Birch-Fir and Conifer Forest and Moist Dry Alpine Scrub (Rhododendron and Juniper scrubs) at different altitudes. This is also a perfect trek for a nature enthusiast.
The trees inside these forests are really old, the area itself is damp and wet. There are ferns that hang from the sides of tree trunks and mosses and lichens along the route. Spring makes the place entirely different and beautiful with its Rhododendron blooms and magnolia blossoms. There is a rich plant diversity in the place with not just these magnolias and rhododendrons but primulas, gentians, potentillas, poppies and aconites. Winter does not do much to the forest cover as it is still dense and green, however there is Maple foliage during the fall, making the floor of forest extremely picturesque.
Not just flora, but the forests are known for its rich biodiversity for animals as well. There are Flycatchers and warblers, Sun birds, Thrushes and Babblers, Tits & Fiches which chirp and squeak all the time. Also as said it has many flowers inside the forest, which in turn attracts many butterflies. There are many endemic and endangered animal species in this 104 square kilo meter long Sanctuary including Red Panda, Barking Deer (Kakar), Himalayan Black Bear, Marbled Cat among others.
About Trekking To Phoktey Dara
The route through which you go is known for its rich biodiversity. However, the trek is not just about the Sanctuary, the rich biodiversity or the forest cover. There is more to it. The trail that you have preferred is close to many Himalayan mountains, Singalila Pass and Phoktey Dara are actually places from where you will get to see the royal views of huge mountain range of Kanchendzongha range in a well-known “Sleeping Buddha” construction. The place is also well known for its sunrise and sunsets. If the sky is clear, one can get a spectacular view of four out of the five highest peaks in the world, Mt. Everest, Kanchendzongha, Lhotse and Makal. The place would be loved by a botanist, a bird watcher, a nature lover, adventure lovers as well as photographers as it has in its hand a lot of gifts awaiting such people .This would be one refreshing experience that you would have been waiting for.
- An opportunity to see 4 out of the 5 highest peaks of the world
- An opportunity to carryout bird watching
- Spectacular views of sunrise and sunsets
- A rare chance to see the endangered species of Red Panda
- Rhododendron and Magnolia Blooms
- Rich Biodiversity
- An opportunity to see the Sing shore Bridge, the second highest suspension bridge in Asia
- An opportunity to visit famous Barsey Rhododendron Sanctuary
- you will get to see various kinds of forests like Wet Temperate Forests, Mixed Coniferous Forests, Sub-alpine Birch-Fir and Conifer Forest and Moist Dry Alpine Scrub (Rhododendron and Juniper scrubs) at different altitudes
Key Facts About Phoktey Dara Trek
- Location: Sikkim
- Starting from: New Jaipalguri
- Temperature: 10C to15C in the morning; 2C to 5C at night
- Trekking Distance: 50 kilometres
- Maximum altitude: 12150 feet or 3700 meters
- Difficulty Level: Easy
- Nearest Railway Station: New Jaipalguri Railway Station
- Nearest Airport: Bagdogra Airport
- Accommodation Type: Camping, Hotels
- Food: Nutritive diet appropriate for trekking
- Best time to visit: Mid March to May
- Duration: 7 Days and 6 Nights
- Nearest ATM: Jorethang
- Key attractions: Barsey Rhododendron Sanctuary, Rhododendron and Magnolia Blooms, Spectacular views of Everest, Khangchendzonga, Lhotse and Makal ranges.