The Bhrigu Lake Trek is named after one of the Saptarishis, who is the “PRAJAPATI”- the facilitator of creation created by Lord Brahma Born in Ballia. Legend has it that the Maharishi Bhrigu used to mediate near the lake and hence considered very sacred and divine – It is believed that due to this the lake never freezes completely. This is a treat for nature lovers and adventure enthusiasts with a compelling environment full of natural beauty and enchanting sceneries. This trek is a crown in the jewel of Manali tourism, as the high altitude lake trek with the undulating expanse of alpine meadows with calm and the serene surroundings entices many to head out for this wonderful trek. At an altitude of 12,000 ft one gets a delightful views of the lush green meadows. The route winding through the Oak and Rhododendron forests, is the highlight of this trek. The lake also provides panoramic view of Pir Panjal and Dhauladhar mountain range. Many peaks rising above 6000 m like – Deo Tibba, Indrasan, Shiker Beh, Makar Beh and Friendship can be seen from the lake.
About Bhrigu Lake Trek:
The bhrigu lake trek is a high altitude trek in the Garhwali region filled with snowcapped peaks, lush meadows, and verdant forests is believed to be a place where sage Bhrigu had done penance many years ago. Besides unlocking the never-seen views of many Himalayan peaks like Hanuman Tibba, Deo Tibba and also the seven sister peaks of the Pir Panjal one passes through dense forests of Oak and Cedar with multi colored alpine flowers adds another dimension to the bhrigu lake trek. One can see different species of wildlife of – Snow Cocks, Pheasants and Himalayan Monal during the trail. In the end, trekkers can see the beautiful blue waters of the lake cradling in the background of the snowcapped mountains. In addition, the charm of watching sun rays falling on the sparkling waters of the lake is a beholding sight. The oval-shaped, pristine lake changes its colors and formations with every season. In early summer, one can see the formation of emerald green and blue ice rings on the lake. In the late months of summer, it turns into a blue lagoon!
The lake perched at an altitude of 14,000 ft above sea level, starts at the beautiful village of Gulaba and transports trekkers through the wild and dense forest trails, beautiful villages, orchard plantation, and ending at Vashisht village
Highlights of Trek To Bhrigu Lake:
Some of the highlights of this trek are:
- See the sacred temples – Gowrishankar, Tripurasundari Temples with the Pahadi style and Roerich art gallery.
- Trek through the streams for a few hours and then reach the beautiful Solang valley.
- Bask in the exotic views of Bhrigu Lake, and then descend to the campsite of Rohlikohli.
- Enjoy calm and cool breeze, beautiful views of nature and aroma of the pine forests.
- Take a holy dip, in the hot springs of the Vashisht Village, and also pay respects at the Lord Rama and Vashisht Muni
- Enjoy a jeep ride of around 3 hours from Rumsu to Gulaba, before trekkers commence their trek to the camp at Rohlikohli .
Key Facts About Bhrigu Lake Trek:
|Region||Kullu Region – Himachal Pradesh.|
|Duration||4 Days 3 Nights|
|Ideal Time||Bhrigu Lake trek can be undertaken between May – August. During this time the region is warm and pleasant. In July – September the region receives heavy rainfall and landslides may occur.|
|Temperature||The day temperature is between 13*C-18*C and in the night it can drop to -7*C.|
|Level||Moderate. Bhrigu trek requires some amount of acclimatization, and physical fitness. Trekkers should not have any ailments.|
|Total Distance||26 Kms|
|Maximum Elevation||This high altitude glacial trek takes trekkers to an elevation of 8,530 ft at Gulaba and reaches a maximum elevation of 14,100 ft at the Kullu district.|
|Weather||The best time to visit this trek is in summer as the temperature is warm and pleasant with temperature ranging between 20*C-25*C. In winters the entire region is covered with sheets of now and the temperature drops to -7*C.|
|Communication||All major telecommunication networks work upto Roha Khuli, but may not work during the whole course of the trek. Even if they work they get signals intermittently. In Manali post / pre-paid networks of other states do not get signals. In case of emergencies only VoIP and satellite communication works.|
|ATM Point||The last ATM point is at Manali before the trek starts|
Reporting and Acclimatization- Trekkers after reaching the base camp of Rumsu complete the registration process, after having a short walk they then trek back to base camp. The route from Naggar to Rumsu resort is informative and interesting. They can see the 11th century Shiva, Tripura Sundari temples, Nagger Castle and the Roerich art gallery. The beauty of the Nagger is reflected in the castle fort which illustrates the Pahadi style temple architecture. As evening sets, the chief guide will give an orientation that mainly teaches about the techniques of ruck sack packing, marching / walking and also about general awareness to be followed while trekking. Overnight stay will be at Rumsu.
Drive to Gulaba and trek to Rohlikohli – The day starts with a jeep ride from Rumsu to Gulaba that takes around 3 hours. Thereafter the trek, which is an ascend till Rohlikohli takes 6 hours. Trekkers on the way can see two beautiful streams of Chor and Kohli Nallah. The splendid campsite of Rohlikohli offers exotic views of the Solang valley. Overnight stay will be at tents.
Trek to Bhrigu Lake- After breakfast start trekking for the Bhrigu Lake that takes 4 hours. After reaching, have lunch. Mythological legends believe this place to be a holy place where the Rishi Bhrigu had done penance, and took bath at the holy river. Afterwards start descending back to the campsite of Rohlikohli. Overnight stay will be at tents.
Descend to Gulaba and Departure from Manali- Trekkers post breakfast start their descend for Gulaba. This is relatively an easy one that takes around 3 – 4 hours. Reach Manali / nearest bus stand / airport / station to proceed to respective destinations.
Inclusions For Bhrigu Lake Trek:
Some of the inclusions of the trek are:
“The Snow Valley Resorts” is located amidst the green forests of pinewoods in Manali. The hotel is located 2 km from the bus stand, and is surrounded by the beautiful apple orchards. The hotel has 52 rooms and suites with a variety of local interior designs, colors, wooden flooring and posh furnishings that gives beautiful views coupled with modern amenities. There is a separate area for kids to play, and a huge conference hall for conducting meetings and hosting weddings and conferences. There are adventure activities for kids outside the hotels for kids like skiing and rafting. The facilities are:
- Luxury Bedrooms
- Running hot and cold water
- Wi- Fi facility
- Restaurant & Bar
- Conference and banquet facilities
- Satellite TV
- House keeping
- Laundry and dry cleaning
- Currency exchange
- Travel desk
- Doctor on call
- Wi-Fi connectivity in all rooms
- Telephone facility
Online travel portals offer lot of choices to book accommodation at desired prices, preferred time and conveniences. Besides, on early bookings travelers can avail discounts and offers. Some of the other recommended hotels are:
|Hotel Snow Park Manali||3 Star|
|The Manali Inn||4 Star|
|Hotel Manali Mahal||4 Star|
|Hotel Vintage Manali||3 Star|
|The Piccadily||4 Star|
|Hotel Jupiter||3 Star|
|Treeebo Woodstock Inn||4 Star|
|Golden Tulip Manali||3 Star|
|Hotel Prini Palace Manali||4 Star|
|Hotel Himgiri Manali||4 Star|
|Shingar Regency||4 Star|
|Hotel Apple Paradise||4 Star|
|Hotel New Adarsh||3 Star|
|Hotel Kalinga Grand||3 Star|
|Hotel Natraj||4 Star|
|The Rohtang Manalsu||4 Star|
|Hotel Ocean Blue||3 Star|
|The Royal Regency||4 Star|
|Swiss Wood Hotel||4 Star|
|The Whispering Inn||3 Star|
|Hotel King’s Land||4 Star|
The cuisine of the region are called “PAHADI” OR “KANGRA” cuisine, and both vegetarian and non-vegetarian cuisines are famous in this region. The people of the region use lot of spices in the preparation of their dishes. The people of this region also use consume lot of daily products specially ghee, buttermilk and curd to add an extra taste to their dishes. The vegetarian dishes are Mittha, Sidu, Babru, Channa Madra, Mash Daal ,Auriya Kadoo, Til Ki Chutney, Muli Ke Paratha, Chapattis, Rice, Sepu Vadai, Pancakes, Tudkiya Bhaat, Bhey,Himachal Tea and curd. The non-vegetarian dishes are Chicken curry, aadab gohst, marinated chicken, chicken anaardana, grilled fishes and Kullu trout. The cuisine of this region reflect the geographical and cultural diversities of the culinary and cooking habits of the people of this region. The people of this region cultivate lot of pulses, wheat, buckwheat and legumes that are organically cultivated and grown according to the climate of this region.
The other inclusions of the trek are:
- Sleeping mattress / bags
- Forest permits
- One night accommodation at Vashisht / Old Manali (On Day 1) on sharing basis
- Car pick up from Vashisht / Old Manali to the trek starting point Kothi on Day 2.
- Camping ground booking
- Accommodation (Guest house, Home stay, Camping)
- Meals while on trek (Vegetarian and Egg)
- Trek equipment (Toilet tents, gaiters. Micro spikes/Crampon, Kitchen & dinning tent, utensils, tent)
- All necessary permits and entry fees.
- Specialized Cook, Support staffs, Porters for carrying the central logistics of the trek.
- First aid medical kits, stretcher and oxygen cylinder.
- Mountaineering qualified and professional trek Leader, guide and support staff who have sound knowledge of the trekking routes.
- Services on “from Manali to Manali” basis
- Staff insurance
- Any kind of personal expenses
- Food during transit
- Mules or porter to carry personal luggage
- Anything not specifically mentioned under the head
- Any tip/gratuity to the supports staffs
The Bhunter Airport (Kullu) is the nearest airport to Manali. This airport is 50 km away from Manali and 10 km from Kullu. There are regular flights to Chandigarh and Delhi on a daily basis. Chandigarh is the second nearest airport that is 178 km from Manali. There are plenty of buses / taxis just outside these airports for reaching either Gulaba / Manali.
Being a hill station Manali does not have direct rail connectivity. The Jogindernagar Railway Station is about 50 km (nearest railhead), and has good connectivity with Manali and other cities. The Ambala Cantonment Railway station / Chandigarh stations are approx. 350 Kms / 310 Kms away from Manali with a travel time of around 7 – 8 Hrs. There are lot of buses, private taxis to reach Manali, and then upto Gulaba.
Manali has good road connectivity. There are many regular, Volvo and state run buses that has good connectivity from Delhi and Chandigarh. There are lot of private taxis, buses that can be hired. The Himachal Pradesh Tourism Development Corporation (HPDTC) operate many buses between Delhi – Manali. There are lot of buses that leave between evening 4 – 6 pm from Delhi and reach Manali early in the morning. The journey time is around 12 hours.
How to Reach:
There are lot of buses from Delhi ISBT Anand Vihar that reach Manali in about 12 – 14 hours. Himachal Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (HPSRTC) runs lot of daily services to Manali. There are two routes:
- The distance between Delhi-Manali is around 536 km.
- The Delhi- Manali is connected by NH-1 and 21 highways.
- Route 1 : NH 1: Route 1: Delhi- Chandigarh- Bilaspur- Mandi and it takes 12 hours. Roads are good and facilitate smooth and comfortable journey.
- Route 2: NH-21: Ropar- Bilaspur- Mandi and the NH 21 A goes through Nalagarh- Swarghat – Bilaspur. This route is avoided because of the bad road conditions.
- There are buses that are run by the HRTC (Himachal Road Transport Corporation)and HPTDC (Himachal Pradesh Tourism Development Corporation) that operate on a daily basis.
- The HRTC (Himachal Road Transport Corporation)start from the Delhi ISBT Kashmiri gate, that is around 4 km from the New Delhi railway Station, and it can be reached easily by auto rickshaw.
- By road- Manali is well connected by road with nearby areas – Visitors can take taxis / buses from Ambala / Chandigarh to reach Manali.
- There are lot of buses that ply, from Chandigarh- Manali that is around 310 km and takes 10 hours.
- The distances / travel time between Manali and various destinations are:
Distance From Major Cities For Trek To Bhrigu Lake:
- Chandigarh- Manali: 310 Kms / 7 Hrs
- Delhi- Manali: 540 Kms / 12 Hrs
- Lucknow-Manali: 977 Kms / 17 Hrs
- Gurgoan- Manali: 565 Kms / 13 Hrs
- Ludhiana- Manali: 330 Kms / 8 Hrs
- Jaipur- Manali: 788 Kms / 16 Hrs
- The bus services are more convenient, accessible and are at reasonable and affordable cost.
- Travelers can book taxis/jeeps through the Manali Tours and Taxi service association that are cheap, reliable and affordable. They are available in various packages depending on the needs of the tourists.
- Travelers can book cabs through travel agents, in Chandigarh, Delhi and Ambala at reasonable fares to reach Manali.
- Most of the tourists, prefer to travel by road since it gives them picturesque views and also they can enjoy the pleasant weather.
Some of the basic essentials recommended are:
- Comfortable footwear
- Comfortable warm clothes
- Insect repellent
- Gloves(inner fleece, water proof)
- Snow/ normal gloves
- A 60 liters backpack, with plastic or water proof lining.
- Jackets or sweaters
- Ruck sack bags
- High ankle trekking shoes with good grip.
- Warm T-shirts(full sleeve)
- Light micro fleece pullover
- Waterproof trekking pants
- Windproof/water resistant jackets
- Sleeping bags
- Down / Fleece jackets
- Thick fleece
- Trekking pants
- Full sleeve woolen pullover / Sweaters
- Thermal inner wear/bottoms
- Woolen cap
- Thick woolen socks and regular socks
- Bandara scarf/muffler (optional)
- Hiking / trekking shoes with a thick sole
- Trekking poles.
- Gore-Tex jackets
- Walking stick
- Cotton socks / sneakers
- Water purification filters
- Towel / small / Camp towel / sarong
- Duffel bags down / synthetic camp booties
- Headlamp / flashlights with extra batteries
- Insulated water bottle
- Hydration pack
- Sun glasses / goggles.
- Sunscreen Lotion
- Swiss army knife
- Sun hat/ baseball cap
- Video camera.
- Extra passport photos
- One liter water bottle wide open mouth
- Wind and rain gear with hoods
- Money pouch / belts
- Extra polythene bags.
- Note book with pen and pencils
- Energy bars
- Mobile charger and power banks
- Lip Balm
- Torch / Flashlight (with extra batteries)
- One pair cotton trousers or shorts
- Personal toiletries
- Personal medication
- Wet wipes (tissues and wipes) in the mountains is not advisable since these are not biodegradable, sanitary pads should be carried in a Ziploc bag and after using them dispose them after coming to the city.
- Wardrobe essentials like woolen and fleece clothes, synthetic or waterproof track pants, rain-proof jackets, sunglasses, waterproof gloves, wind-proof jackets, thermal inner wear.
- Travelers should carry a spoon, lunchbox and coffee mugs with them. If needed they can also bring their own cutlery set with them for hygienic reasons.
- Carry few extra plastic bags for wet clothes.
- Medications for common ailments:
- Diamox- To prevent acute mountain sickness
- Dexamethasone- One strip
- BP tablets as necessary
- Skin ointment
- Crocin- for fever
- Vitamin tablets for energy
- Avomine- to prevent motion sickness
- Avil- for allergies
- Combiflam- Painkiller
- Disprin- Headaches
- Norflox TZ and Lomofen- Diarrhoea
- Digene- for acidity
- Omez/ rantadine- antacids
- Crepe bandage- 3 to 5 meters
- Guaze- 1 small roll
- Band aid- 10 strips
- Cotton- 1 small roll
- Oral Rehydration solution fluids- 10 packets
- Betadine or any antiseptic cream
- Moov spray (aches and sprains).
- Mycoderm powder and Glucon D- powder
Some guidelines to follow for bhrigu lake trek are:
- Climatic conditions in the high altitudes differ from those of that in the plains hence, trekkers should take enough time to get themselves acclimatized to the high altitudes.
- Listen to the Guide’s instructions and follow the guidelines given by him for a safe, smooth and enjoyable trekking experience and to prevent mishaps.
- Refrain from consuming alcohol or any other intoxicants during the course of the trek.
- Do not bring any sort of non- biodegradable materials.
- Trekkers should always keep themselves hydrated.
- Medical certificate from the Himalayan trek is mandatory.
- Drinking, smoking and consumption of illicit substances, is avoided, and buying of any illegal substances is strictly prohibited, if any trekkers is found carrying these items they will be detained, fined with penalties and might have to undergo police investigation if needed.
- During extreme snowfall, carry goggles to prevent blindness from the bright reflection of the sun’s rays.
- Carry sugar and energy bars to keep the sugar levels balanced and ensure that they do not drop.
- Carry matches, spray or deodorants to keep away from the danger of wild animals.
- Carry identification proof.
- Dress religiously and modesty while visiting temples.
- Avoid carrying snacks and junk food
- Travel in small groups.
- For extra porters, an extra fee of Rs.250 can be paid, per paid per day to avail their services, and to carry the personal belongings throughout their trek.
- In case trekkers prefer their own sleeping bags they can buy new sleeping bags from the store.
- One can even opt for personal trekking gear and an extra oxygen at an additional cost.
- Proper waste disposal.
- Respect local cultures and be sensitive towards the wildlife.
- General precautions and steps should be taken for altitude acclimatization, with the assistance of the trek guides.
- Those having complications like heart disease, diabetes, breathing problems, high altitude sickness or is pregnant cannot participate in this trek.
- Always pack light and carry only the essentials
- Do not use disposable plastic water bottles, plastic-wrapped items
- Do not roam and trek during nights.
- Consult a physician to know whether the individual is fit enough to undertake the trek.
- Do not litter the local sites or campsites as the whole trek takes place through eco- friendly zones.
- Physical and mental preparation is essential, be ready to trek in high altitudes. Trekkers should be ready to trek in high altitude terrains and face rough weather and trek in harsh climate.
- Trekking crew is essential since they may help in dealing with any sort of emergencies that arise on the way.
- Getting a proper insurance is necessary and it should cover medical rescue evacuation in case of emergencies. It is advisable to have safety backup like oxygen pressurize altitude chamber in emergency cases.
- To prevent frostbites from extreme freezing temperatures, wear proper trekking boots and socks to keep warm.
- Always carry a couple of pairs of thermal innerwear.
- Avoid wearing more than one pair of socks to have good blood circulation.
- Wear track pants instead of denim jeans.
- Vision and contact lenses- A spare will help in case the one in use is damaged.
- Suture Kit- Kit is for use by local health care providers and requires a letter from the doctor on a letterhead stationery.
- Medical / Clinical Items:
- Syringe Kit- ( for diabetics)
- Medical alert tags, necklace, bracelets ( for emergency identification)
- Antifungal ointments
- Insect bite ointments
- Bandages- Multiple sizes, adhesive tape and gauze
- Moleskin or molefoam for blisters
- Elastic compression bandage wrap for sprains and strains.
- Disposable gloves
- Digital thermometer
- Scissors and safety pins
- Eye drops
- Cotton swabs
- Oral rehydration drops
- Health insurance cards and policy waiver.
- Proof of yellow fever vaccination – If in case the trip needs travelers to take completed International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis card or medical waiver.
- Copies of all prescriptions- Be sure to have copies of all prescriptions that have generic drug names. Also, carry prescriptions for eyeglasses/ contact lenses and other essential medical supplies.
- Photo Identity ID card, PAN, Driving License, Voter ID (better to carry copies for submission to any higher authorities).
- Disclaimer form to be duly filled and signed by a certified trek leader.
- Contact details
- Travelers must carry cards having contact numbers and e- mail-id of their friends/ relatives in case of any emergencies.
Weather Conditions During Trek To Bhrigu Lake:
The best time to visit the Bhrigu Lake Trek is between May – October as the temperature is warm and pleasant with clear and sunny skies.
Winter (December – Mid March):
During winter there is heavy snowfall. The day temperature is between 10*C-15*C and in the night it drops to -7*C. The entire lake gets frozen and is not a good time to visit.
Monsoon (July – September):
This season has heavy rainfall, and the roads are blocked. Risk of landslides and other natural calamities are high. This season is not a favorable time for trekking.
Summer (May – June):
During this time to temperature is warm, pleasant salubrious. The temperature ranges between 20*C-25*C in the day with cool winds blowing and it drops to -7*C at night. The Himalayas are clearly visible during this season. Trekkers should carry woolen clothes to protect themselves from the winds blowing at night. This season is a good time for trek.
Autumn/ Spring (October – November):
During this time the temperature is warm and pleasant between 15*C-20*C. Flowers of different colors – ie. Crocus, Dahlia, Nerine, Sternbergia, Cyclamen Hederifolium, Winter Aconite, Snowdrop, Cyclamen Coum, Gladiolus Murielle, Rhododendrons, Orchids and Roses are in full bloom and is a visual delight. Panoramic view of mountains with amazing views of sunrise and sunset are some of the lifetime experiences. There are different festivals celebrated during this season – ie. Kanwar Mela, Karthik Poornima and Ganga Dusshera, Diwali. Ideal time for adventure activities like trekking, skiing and camping.
With a mythological background, meadows stretching far and wide like a never ending carpet, imposing views of the seven sisters of Pirpanjal range, historical temples provides an ideal mixture to cater to the interests of various travelers to this region. Indeed a worthy trek with plenty of rewarding experience in store!