Located in Kullu district at an elevation of 3660 meters, which connects the villages of Rumsu and Pulag to that of Malana. Chandrakhani Pass Trek is believed to be the meditation site of one of the Saptarshi, Saptarishi Jamadagni. There is another mystical story attached to the place which says, a local deity by the name of Jamlu of Malana was carrying a basket full of the idols of local gods. As he was walking the basket fell down and the deities reached the nearby peaks. This is the reason why all the nearby peaks like that of Indradarshan, Deo Tibba, Pir Panjal and Pārbati Range are considered to be holy. It originates from the scenic Naggar settlement, some 21-kilometers away from Manali. From the pass, the beauty of Deo Tibba, Pārbati, and Pir Panjal peaks could be enjoyed. Also, filled with dense forests of pine, deodar, golden oak and cherry, this pass boasts as one of the most scenic and pictorial passes in the country.
About the Trek
An offbeat location, this might be the solitude that you are searching for. A hidden gem, this place is isolated from the rest of the worlds. The two-day Chandrakhani Pass trek would cover beautiful pine forests, you get spectacular views of mountains and the scenic beauty of the landscape around. It is indeed an unforgettable experience.
- The trek is an opportunity to enjoy and savour the beauty of many tiny hamlets and streams.
- The Temple made for Jamdagini Rishi
- The pine forests around, which is fairytale like
- Have you ever done camping? If not this is your opportunity to. Sleeping under the star for 2 nights enjoying the scenic beauty around. Cherry on top, prepare a bonfire and have fun with friends
- The splendid view of ice-capped mountains and the grandiose of glaciers of the Pir Panjal range of the mighty Himalayas.
- A unique opportunity to meet new people live their experience, talk to them and getting to know peculiar cultures that you might never have the opportunity to come across otherwise.
- And most importantly- food. An opportunity to taste the local food from the authentic people.
- The Chandrakhani Pass trek also passes through some old villages and grasslands.
Key Facts About Trek
- Location: Himachal Pradesh
- Starting from: Rumsu
- Temperature: 10 to15 degree Celsius in the morning; 2 to 5 degree Celsius at night
- Trekking Distance: 16-kilometers
- Maximum altitude: 11975 feet or 3660 meters
- Difficulty Level: Moderate
- Nearest Railway Station: Joginder Nagar Railway Station
- Nearest Airport: Bhuntar Airport, Kullu
- Accommodation Type: Camping
- Food: Nutritious food suitable for trekking
- Best time to visit: Mid-June to early October
- Duration: 2 Days and I Night
- Key attractions: Jamdagini Rishi’s Temple, Pine forests, Views of Deo Tibba, Indradarshan
Trek from Rumsu Village to Naya Tapru
Trek from Naya Tapru to Chandrakhani Pass
The day would begin with the trek for Chandrakhani pass. From Naya Tapru. It is a 3-hour long trek, once you reach the top of the pass you can see the temple that is dedicated to the Jamadagni Rishi. You can begin the climb down by 12.30in the noon. At Naya Tapru lunch would be served. After lunch would begin the descend towards Rumsu, which again takes around 3 hours. You might reach the place by 4 in the evening and one can depart from there by night.
During the Chandrakhani Pass trek, accommodation would be on Triple or Quad Sharing (Camping)
Vegetarian meals shall be provided.3 times a day
- Trekking- The 2 days long trekking itself is the main activity that one would do. It is full of new experiences.
- Camping- The best part of the Trekking would be the night stays. Once you are tired from walking all day long, the campsites would provide you with all the comforts that you would need for the night. Since you are at an elevation you can observe the star-studded sky
- Waterfall visit- There are multiple waterfalls along the path you trek, which offers you with spectacular view
- Photography- The place offers multiple scopes for long exposure photography. The scenic beauty of Kullu valley and spectacular views of Deo Tibba are also worth capturing
- Bonfire could be organized near the camping site for the night. One it is always fun and second, it helps you to overcome the extreme cold weather.
- All the required permits and the entry fees are
- A First aid medical kit consisting of the required and essential medicines.
- Qualified and experienced Trek Guide and support staff to guide your way and to take timely decisions.
- All the taxes are also included
- Safety equipment
- Camping Charges
The transport from the base village to the nearest town and the return trip will be provided for the visitor at an extra cost. Thus each trekker will be receiving a ride from Rumsu Village to the next town on the first day and the return as well. Any other means of transport if required shall come at the trekker’s expenses. From Manali, one can go through bus till Delhi and then go by flight or train to wherever one has to reach.
- Make sure you carry with you warm clothes, jackets, raincoat, fleece, thermals – carry in multiple numbers at the same time not quite a lot for it is always advisable to carry lesser luggage during the Chandrakhani Pass Trek. However, at times rain and snowfall can’t be predicted hence it is always better to carry a raincoat along with jackets
- Carry hand gloves, trekking poles, a pair of sturdy trekking shoes and extra pairs of socks shall be carried. Make sure that you don’t forget any of these as trek would be nearly impossible then
- Also remember to take along water bottles, energy bars, chewing gums, and energy drinks. This is because you will for sure get dehydrated on the trip, hence one has to make sure he/she is hydrated. Energy bars help you to keep a check on your appetite. And since you are walking quite a lot both energy bars and drinks would be of use.
- Make sure you are carrying with you some kind of painkillers for your legs might hurt from trekking and sunscreen lotions.
- Caps/hats, sunglasses, and towels should also be carried along with you
- If possible oxygen cylinder or alternatives to create oxygen like camphor could be taken along.
- Make sure you are taking with you a backpack which has waterproof linings
- Personal toiletries and medication if any shall also be taken along
- Medication is extremely important as you are visiting a remote area, for 5 days
- It is always better to take a lot of precautions so that you don’t feel sorry later. Extra batteries shall be taken and make sure that your equipment is fully charged.
- Also carry with you beanie and sun cap, light towel and scarfs
- Cold cream and sunscreen lotion (SPF 40+)
- Headlamp or torch with fresh pair of batteries
The closest airport is at Bhuntar. It is situated almost 50-kilometers away from Manali. There are Domestic flights from Delhi and Chandigarh that links with Bhuntar. From the airport, one can opt for a prepaid taxi to Manali. However taking into account the weather conditions of this place, Air transport isn’t the best nor the most reliable option to get to Manali. One can rather travel till Delhi by flight and look for other options to reach Manali.
There are many state-run as well as private buses that connect Manali with multiple other destinations like Leh, Kullu, Delhi, Dharamshala, and Shimla among others. Delhi to Manali s 550-kilometers and it is always better if the tickets are pre-booked in AC Volvo buses. This is a busy route and tickets might not be available without reservations. And Volvo buses are better than the rest when you take into account the long trip ahead.
Joginder Nagar is the closest railway station to Manali. Manali doesn’t have a railway station to itself. This is some 50-kilometers away from Manali. The best way is to either come to Ambala or Chandigarh and then ride to Joginder Nagar via train.
The best time to go for this Trekking is from mid June to October, when the climate is comparatively pleasant. Early months of the year clearly means chances of snowfall on high passes. This however melts down in the month of August. Kullu Manali gets good rainfall and during the monsoon season, it might rain heavily. However the high altitude regions of Spiti valley or Seri meadows will be quite sunlit and warm during the daytime. The temperature might be in between 12 degree Celsius to 20 degree Celsius. However it goes down steeply during night to -2 degree Celsius to 6 degree Celsius. September and October are the best months of the year or a tourist as weather is extremely good with less chances of rain, and less snowfall and considerable warmth. In the beginning of October temperature again starts to drop. Day temperature is still find fluctuating between 12 degree Celsius to 18 Degree Celsius. However at the night it might be anywhere in between -6 degree Celsius to 2 degree Celsius, which the trekkers might find difficult to endure. Altitude Sickness also known as acute mountain sickness is caused by less exposure to oxygen at high altitudes. The symptoms could be non-specific. Breathlessness is a common symptom to speak of. Headache, fatigue, stomach illness, dizziness, and sleep disturbances are the other. Acetazolamide is the medicine that helps in curing acclimatisation. However in the worst case scenario one must descend the place immediately.
- Weather conditions of a mountainous region or any high altitude region for that matter are very different from that of a plain. One might experience altitude sickness. Hence take ample time to get acclimatized to the high altitude
- All of the visitors may not be experienced trekkers, or you might not be knowing the intricacies related to this place, which is the reason why listening to your trek leader or guide is of utmost importance so that your whole journey is both safe and enjoyable
- Make sure that you do not consume alcohol during the trek. Try to stay away from any sort of intoxicant. You are climbing uphill and this might have serious consequences
- Altitude Sickness also knew as acute mountain sickness is caused by less exposure to oxygen at high altitudes. The symptoms could be non-specific. Breathlessness is a common symptom of the speak o A headache, fatigue, stomach illness, dizziness, and sleep disturbances are the other. Acetazolamide is the medicine that helps in curing acclimatization. However in the worst case scenario, one must descend the place immediately.
- Make sure your cameras are well packed and protected from moisture
- Make sure that you Trek in the day and not in the night
- And most important of all is this, the Trek is along an eco-friendly as well as to be protected region. Hence act responsibly and do not litter
- Make sure you are taking with you a trekking shoe and not a sports shoe. The shoe shall be sturdy, with a hard sole and ankle support and it would be better if it is waterproof.
- Also, make sure you take both cotton and woolen Woollen to use while at the camps in the night and cotton while trekking
- Ideal clothing would be quick-dry synthetic pants and full-sleeved t-shirts and protection for your neck from sunburn
- Make sure you aren’t wearing loud colors