About Hampta Pass
Hampta Pass Trek is different, unusual in its own way and so is the experience that one can gain from Hampta. Next, to Kullu, it is a trekker’s paradise. From up, one can view the deserts of Lahaul, which is one sight that anyone would die to see. One can also see the Shea Goru camp in Lahaul valley. It is located along the Pir Panjal ranges of Himalaya. A number of wildflowers just adorn the place. The place also gives a balcony view of the rest of Kullu valley. The landscapes and scenery around are so dynamic that it keeps on changing as we climb up, making the trek really interesting. There is no monotony associated with Hampta Pass Trek.
About The Hampta Pass Trek
Hampta pass connects Kullu to Lahaul. It is the beauty of the place that catches the attention of the visitors. There are many herbs and wildflowers spotted in this area like the Himalayan orchids. It also has in it landscape a meadow, glacial valleys, lakes and more. Another standard trait of this trek is the travel through the captivating Rohtang Pass that is at an altitude of 13,000 feet and is wrapped in snow all through the year, the finest time to visit is from July to August.
Highlights of Trekking In Hampta Pass
A popular tourist place this is believed to be found by the Vashisht, who was the Guru of Lord Ram and Laxman. It is believed that it was built some 4000 years ago. On the banks of Beas River, located is this beauty. It is believed that Vasishta wanted to commit suicide here after coming to know that his kids were killed by another saint Vishwamitra. Though he repeatedly jumped into the river, river refused to kill him. The river from then is called Vipasha which means freedom from bondage. Vipasha over the years became Beas. It is here then that Vasishta chose to meditate in here. The hot springs of this temple are said to have medicinal value. The place also has old villages, rustic café etc near to it. The ambiance it creates is beautiful.
Located at 9000 meters above the sea level Jobra is a beauty. It is surrounded by a variety of landscapes, there are bare rocks that ascend to the sky, there are thick wonderful forests, and the place in total has an unworldly touch to it. The meadow near to this place has the Rani nallah flowing in between. The meadow is on one side covered with pine and maple trees.
Bhalu Ka Gehra
Balu Ka Gehra is a plain land, located on the banks of a river. It is called Balu Ka Gehra as there are chances that you spot the Himalayan Bear from here. The place is formed by the sand and stones that are deposited by the river.
Chandra River is originating from one of the glaciers in the Pir Panjal range. It along with Bhaga River makes the Chenab River.
Located at Lahaul, this is a crescent-shaped lake as the name also suggests. Located at 4,300 meters above the sea level, Chandra Taal is one of the major tourist attractions of Manali. There is a vast meadow on the banks of the lake, which would be filled with wildflowers as the season begins making it a popular campsite.It is also one of the two assigned high altitude wetlands of the country and is listed as a Ramsar site. The place is good for [photography as in the night it would provide with a spectacular view of stars and the Milky Way galaxy.
Chandra Bhaga range
A magnificent peak, Chandra Bhaga range is one accessible peak which one could climb. The name comes from Chandra and Bhaga rivers.
Hampta pass is located at a height of 4270 meters above the sea level in the Pir Panjal ranges of the Himalaya. It connects Lahaul to Kullu valley. The rock walls, waterfalls, lakes, hanging glaciers etc. makes this place one of a kind.
Located at the Indo Tibetan border, Lahaul is a valley located in a remote area. It has picturesque traditional villages, medieval monasteries, and old valley. It is old and is also often called as the Barren Splendour of Himachal Pradesh. IT is Chandra and Bhaga rivers that originate from the Baralacha la that feeds the valley of Lahaul. There are many places to visit in here.
Kunzum pass is a high altitude pass that connects Manali to Spiti valley. IT is one of the highest motorable passes in the country. Located in it is the second longest glacier if the world- Bara-Sigri.
Key Facts About Hampta Pass Trek
- Location: Himachal Pradesh
- Starting from: Manali
- Temperature: 10 to15 degree Celsius in the morning; 2 to 5 degree Celsius at night
- Trekking Distance: 200-kilometers
- Maximum altitude: 14,000 feet or 4480 meters
- Difficulty Level: Moderate
- Nearest Railway Station: Joginder Nagar Railway Station
- Nearest Airport: Bhuntar Airport, Kullu
- Accommodation Type: Camping
- Food: Nutritious food suitable for trekking
- Best time to visit: Mid-June to early October
- Duration: 5 Days and 4 Nights
- Key attractions: Vashisht Temple, Johari, Bhalu Ka Gehra, Chandra River, Chandra Taal, Chandra Bhaga
Ride from Manali - Jobra, Hike from Jobra - Chika
Hampta pass trek would begin next day afternoon. It starts from Jobra and transportation is provided. The traveler has a wonderful chance to visit Vashisht Temple that has in its many natural hot springs, an old-fashioned colony named Johari, and many other villages and Prerni, a snow-clad small town. Along the way, one can also see many temporary huts that have a thatched roof which is the hydropower plant.
Once you reach Jobra, there is a concrete bridge, crossing which the trekking starts. One will have to trek from three to four hours to reach Chika. Chika is where the night stay happens. Camps would be arranged and so is a delicious dinner that is waiting for you.
Trekking from Chika to Bhalu Ka Gehra
Hike from Balu Ka Ghera to Hampta Pass and Shea Goru
Hike from Shea Goru - Chatru
Ride from Chatru to Chandratal Lake and back to Manali
During the trek, accommodation would be on Triple or Quad Sharing (Camping)
Vegetarian meals shall be provided.3 times a day
- Trekking- The 5-day long trekking itself is the main activity that one would do. It is full of new experiences.
- Camping- The best part of the Trekking would be the night stays. Once you are tired from walking all day long, the campsites would provide you with all the comforts that you would need for the night. Since you are at an elevation you can observe the star-studded sky
- Waterfall visit- There are multiple waterfalls along the path you trek, which offers you with spectacular view
- Photography- The place offers multiple scopes for long exposure photography. The scenic beauty of valleys around and water bodies are also worth capturing
- Bonfire could be organized near the camping site for the night. One it is always fun and second, it helps you to overcome the extreme cold weather.Other Inclusions
- All the required permits and the entry fees are
- A First aid medical kit consisting of the required and essential medicines.
- Qualified and experienced Trek Guide and support staff to guide your way and to take timely decisions.
- All the taxes are also included.
- Equipment’s during the trek (Sleeping Bags, Mattress, Kitchen and Dining Tents, Utensils, Crampon)
- Oxygen Cylinder and Stretcher
The transport from the base village to Manali and the return trip will be provided for the visitor. Thus each trekker will be receiving a ride from Manali to Jobra village on the first day and from Chatru to Manali on the last day. Any other means of transport if required shall come at the trekker’s expenses. From Manali, one can go by bus till Delhi and then go by flight or train to wherever one has to reach. The ride would be in Bolero, Max or other vehicles corresponding to that all through the ride from Manali to Jobra and return from Chatru to Manali
- Make sure you carry with you warm clothes, jackets, raincoat, fleece, thermals – carry in multiple numbers at the same time not quite a lot for it is always advisable to carry lesser luggage during the Trek. However, at times rain and snowfall can’t be predicted hence it is always better to carry a raincoat along with jackets
- Carry hand gloves, trekking poles, a pair of sturdy trekking shoes and extra pairs of socks shall be carried. Make sure that you don’t forget any of these as trek would be nearly impossible then
- Also remember to take along water bottles, energy bars, chewing gums, and energy drinks. This is because you will for sure get dehydrated on the trip, hence one has to make sure he/she is hydrated. Energy bars help you to keep a check on your appetite. And since you are walking quite a lot both energy bars and drinks would be of use.
- Make sure you are carrying with you some kind of painkillers for your legs might hurt from trekking and sunscreen lotions.
- Caps/hats, sunglasses, and towels should also be carried along with you
- If possible oxygen cylinder or alternatives to create oxygen like camphor could be taken along.
- Make sure you are taking with you a backpack which has waterproof linings
- Personal toiletries and medication if any shall also be taken along
- Medication is extremely important as you are visiting a remote area, for 5 days
- It is always better to take a lot of precautions so that you don’t feel sorry later. Extra batteries shall be taken and make sure that your equipment is fully charged.
- Also carry with you beanie and sun cap, light towel and scarfs
- Cold cream and sunscreen lotion (SPF 40+)
- Headlamp or torch with fresh pair of batteries
The closest airport is at Bhuntar. It is situated almost 50-kilo meters away from Manali. There are Domestic flights from Delhi and Chandigarh that links with Bhuntar. From the airport one can opt for a prepaid taxi to Manali. However taking into account the weather conditions of this place, Air transport isn’t the best nor the most reliable option to get to Manali. One can rather travel till Delhi by flight and look for other options to reach Manali.
There are many state-run as well as private buses that connect Manali with multiple other destinations like Leh, Kullu, Delhi, Dharamshala, and Shimla among others. Delhi to Manali s 550-kilometers and it is always better if the tickets are pre-booked in AC Volvo buses. This is a busy route and tickets might not be available without reservations. And Volvo buses are better than the rest when you take into account the long trip ahead.
Joginder Nagar is the closest railway station to Manali. Manali doesn’t have a railway station to itself. This is some 50-kilometers away from Manali. The best way is to either come to Ambala or Chandigarh or then ride to Joginder Nagar via train.
- Weather conditions of a mountainous region or any high altitude region for that matter are very different from that of a plain. One might experience altitude sickness. Hence take ample time to get acclimatized to the high altitude
- All of the visitors may not be experienced trekkers, or you might not be knowing the intricacies related to this place, which is the reason why listening to your trek leader or guide is of utmost importance so that your whole journey is both safe and enjoyable
- Make sure that you do not consume alcohol during the trek. Try to stay away from any sort of intoxicant. You are climbing uphill and this might have serious consequences
- Altitude Sickness also knew as acute mountain sickness is caused by less exposure to oxygen at high altitudes. The symptoms could be non-specific. Breathlessness is a common symptom to speak of. A headache, fatigue, stomach illness, dizziness, and sleep disturbances are the other. Acetazolamide is the medicine that helps in curing acclimatization. However in the worst case scenario, one must descend the place immediately.
- Make sure your cameras are well packed and protected from moisture
- Make sure that you Trek in the day and not in the night
- And most important of all is this, the Trek is along an eco-friendly as well as to be protected region. Hence act responsibly and do not litter
- Make sure you are taking with you a trekking shoe and not a sports shoe. The shoe shall be sturdy, with a hard sole and ankle support and it would be better if it is waterproof.
- Also, make sure you take both cotton and woolen Woollen to use while at the camps in the night and cotton while trekking
- Ideal clothing would be quick-dry synthetic pants and full-sleeved t-shirts and protection for your neck from sunburn
- Make sure you aren’t wearing loud colors
- There are chances of Frostbite due to extreme temperature. Properly fitted trekking shoes are advised to be brought along so that one could avoid these.
- Overdoing might also call for problems. Wear an only single pair of socks for it might ensure proper blood circulation.
- Track pants are preferred over denim jeans
- Junk food and snacks are not preferred
- Make sure you don’t use plastic items as it is an eco-friendly zone
- Remember to carry thermals and waterproof jackets as well as gloves
- You are trekking, hence pack the essentials and keep it light
- ID cards are mandatory
Best time to go for this Trekking is from mid-June to October when the climate is comparatively pleasant. Early months of the year clearly means chances of snowfall on high passes. This, however, melts down in the month of August. Kullu Manali gets good rainfall and during the monsoon season, it might rain heavily. However, the high altitude regions of Spiti valley or Seri meadows will be quite sunlit and warm during the daytime. The temperature might be in between 12 degree Celsius to 20 degree Celsius. However, it goes down steeply during the night too -2 degree Celsius to 6 degree Celsius. September and October are the best months of the year or a tourist as the weather is extremely good with fewer chances of rain, and less snowfall and considerable warmth.
In the beginning of October temperature again starts to drop. Day temperature is still found fluctuating between 12 degree Celsius to 18 Degree Celsius. However, at the night, it might be anywhere in between -6 degree Celsius to 2 degree Celsius, which the trekkers might find difficult to endure. Altitude Sickness also knew as acute mountain sickness is caused by less exposure to oxygen at high altitudes. The symptoms could be non-specific. Breathlessness is a common symptom to speak of. A headache, fatigue, stomach illness, dizziness, and sleep disturbances are the other. Acetazolamide is the medicine that helps in curing acclimatization. However in the worst case scenario, one must descend the place immediately.