The Hindu Mythology considers this place where “LORD BRAHMA” had done penance many years ago. Considered as a jewel of Himalayas this is a preferred destination for trekkers. Brahmatal Trek starts at Kathgodam and transports the trekkers to a different world of the most wonderful locations and a few famous tourist hotspots. Though the terrain is uneven, it has enchanting landscapes, lush green forests with exotic views of the Himalayas. The Brahmatal trek at an altitude of 12,100 ft covers a distance of 22 Kms in all. In winter one can see the fully frozen lake of Brahmatal and witness its beauty when they cross the snow capped peaks of the Garhwali region. This frozen lake with the backdrop of the Himalayan peaks is quite mesmerizing. The trail passes through the Fir and Oak forests, with steep gradients and paths. As trekkers walk, through the upper region of Lohajung few houses in the midst of dense forests is a visual delight.
About Brahmatal Trek:
This enchanting Brahmatal trek is essentially a winter trek and starts at Kathgodam.
- Upon arrival at Kathgodam trekkers are picked up from the railway station/ bus stand by the operator. After a journey of 9 hours trekkers reach Lohajung which is approximately 225 Kms away from Kathgodam by late afternoon and stay here in the guesthouses for the night.
- The actual trekking starts from the second day, from Lohajung to Bekaltal – During the trail, trekkers can see majestic peaks of the Nandaghunti and pass through the forests of Fir and oak and then concluding after a 5 hour long trek, at Bekaltal covering a distance of around 8 Kms.
- On the third day, trekkers trek from Bekaltal to Brahmatal which is full of scenic beauty and one can enjoy nature at its best!
- The route goes through the dense forests till trekkers reach the Telindi top, to get a majestic view of the Himalayas.
- On the fourth day, the route goes from Khabekhal to Brahmatal. The pathways are tricky and tough which goes through Chota Jhandidar and Bada Jhandidar. The route is encircled by huge mountain ridges of the Himalayan ranges like Mt. Trishul , Nandhaghunti and valleys on both the sides.
- On the fifth trekkers start descending from Brahmatal to Lohajung by the same route.
- On the last day the trek starts from Lohajung to Kathgodam.
Brahmatal Trek Highlights:
Some of the highlights of Brahmatal trek are:
- See the beautiful small hamlets and rivulets
- Get stunning views of the Himalayan Ranges, Trishul and also the views of the Nandhaghunti peaks.
- Camping at a high altitude beneath clear night skies gazing beauty of starts. Enjoy a small bonfire with friends.
- Trek through the beautiful alpine forests of Fir, Oak and Rhododendron. Witness the beautiful flora and fauna of the region.
- Trek through the peaks of Chhota and Bada Jhandidar.
- Last but not the least, taste the local delicacies of the region, interact and spend some time with the locals to know their culture and traditions.
Key Facts about Brahmatal Trek:
|Region||Chamoli, Uttarakhand – Himalayas|
|Duration||6 Days 5 Nights|
|Ideal Time||The best season to visit this place is June – October. The temperature is warm and pleasant with clear and sunny skies. Later, during November – February the region has heavy snowfall and hence not ideal for trekking.|
|Temperature||The day temperature is between 5*C-15*C and is warm and pleasant. At nights temperature drops to -5*C.|
|Level||Moderate. Better to have prior knowledge of trekking and should be physically strong and fit. Regular fitness training exercises like running, jogging will be helpful. They should be without any ailments.|
|Total Distance||22 Kms.|
|Maximum Elevation||The trek starts at an elevation of Khabekhal at 10760 ft and reaches a maximum elevation of 12000 ft at the Brahmatal pass.|
|Weather||The weather is warm and pleasant during the day with temperature ranging between 8*C-15*C. At night, drops to -7*C with freezing cold.|
|Communication||Lohajung gets intermittent phone connectivity. All major telecommunication networks get signals which may be snapped off and on. However, once trekkers reach the top there is no networks operate. In case of emergency only satellite communication works.|
|ATM Point||Trekkers are advised to draw money at Kathgodam itself, however the last ATM point is at Dewal before the trek starts.|