About Dayara Bugyal:
Dayara Bugyal is one of the most splendid treks in Uttarakhand and brings travelers to the hilltop meadows, that stands majestically at an elevation of 10,000-12,500ft. The lush green meadows is an excellent destination for skiing in winters and span 28 sq. km. This incredible Dayara Bugyal Trek lies between the soaring snow-capped peaks of the Himalayas. Travelers can just be stunned by the Barnala Tal lake spread across the green alpine grasslands in whose reflection the peaks look even more awesome.
Dayara Bugyal trek starts from the small village of Barsu, situated on the Haridwar- Gangotri road that is approximately 32 km from Uttarkashi. Travelers can find accommodation in any of the guesthouses or Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam [GMVN] in Barsu that face the magnificent snowy Himalayan mountain peaks. This route passes through the Oak forests, water bodies, expansive and lush grasslands while giving splendid views of dots of huts, grazing sheep, which overlook the gigantic valley and the high-rise mountains. There are a lot of rivulets in the region around which wildflowers can be seen in bloom.
The Dayara Bugyal Trek:
The trek takes travelers through the ranges of Dayara and Bendi Bugyal which are two of the high altitude meadows. The region presents an awesome sight to the travelers with many tall and majestic snowcapped mountains like Bhagirathi, Bandarpoonch and many other peaks. There are plenty of clear water bodies across the green meadows. The peaks are more beautiful as one watches its reflection on the streams. The streams are surrounded by breathtaking sight of flowers and many rivulets. Raithal the base camp for Dayara Bugyal Trek is approximately 9 hr from Haridwar. Travelers traverse through the Bhagirathi river for the most part of their journey. Uttarkashi is the largest town from where travelers go to Batwari. As travelers come closer to Batwari dazzling colors of sunset can be seen, reflecting over the John Lee and Draupadi ka Danda peaks.
- Region: Uttarakhand
- Starting Point: Barsu
- Ending Point: Raithal
- Duration: 7 days and 6 nights
- Ideal Time: May- October, and December- February.
- Level: Easy to Moderate
- Total Distance: 24 Km
- Maximum elevation: 12,300 ft.
- Weather: The best season to visit is from May- November. However, skiers also visit in winters (December- February) as well, since the region receives heavy snowfall.
- Communication: Idea and BSNL networks are available at Barsu, but all other major service networks will be available only when travelers reach Bhatwari.
- ATM Points: The last ATM point is at Uttarkashi and
KEY FACTS ABOUT TREK:
- Travelers come close to nature with sprawling lush green meadows, low altitude lake and an imposing view of the Himalayan range.
- Relax, be at peace and enjoy solitude by camping beside the Barnala Tal lakeside.
- Sight some wild animals, while trekking through the pine and oak tree forests.
- Catch the majestic sight of snow covered peaks of Bandarpoonch (6,316 m) , Black peak (2,734 m) and the Bhagirathi (6,921 m).
- Health insurance documents- Health insurance cards and copies of claim forms
- Proof of yellow fever vaccination- If in case the trip needs travelers to take the completed International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis card or medical waiver.
- Copies of all prescriptions- Be sure to have copies of all prescriptions that have generic drug names. Also bring prescriptions for eyeglasses/ contact lenses, and other essential medical supplies.
- Photo Identity ID proof – Aadhaar, PAN, Driving Licence, Voter Id (Better to carry copies for submission to any agencies)
- Contact details:
- For handling any emergencies, it is suggested to carry cards having contact numbers, email
Drive from Haridwar - Barsu- 220 km– 7 Hours
Trek from Barsu - Barnala– 4Kms - 4 Hours
Trek from Barnala – Dayara Bugyal 5 km – 5 Hours
Trek from Dayara Bugyal - Bakaria Top – Dayara Bugyal- 3 km – 3 Hours
Trek from Dayara Bugyal - Pichkiya8 kms – 7 Hours
Trek from Pichkiya to Barsu 4.5 km –4 Hours
Drive from Barsu to Haridwar 220 Kms- 7 Hours
- a) Accommodation:
Trekkers can stay in Darayabugyal in some accommodation that includes prominent places of stay such as :
- Guest House
Trekkers have the choice of choosing vegetarian and egg dishes. The trip includes all meals and refreshments(ie. Breakfast, lunch and dinner). Good, nutritious food suitable for trekking is provided.
Depending upon the strength, stamina and health conditions of the trekkers the following are some of the activities that can be undertaken – ie:
- Village tourism
- Other Inclusions:
Apart from accommodation other inclusions included in the Dayara bugyal Trek are:
- Transportation from Haridwar- Barsu and return journey
- Meals provide during the trek ( Vegetarian / Egg dishes)
- Different kinds of equipment given during the trek – ie. Mattress, Sleeping bags, Kitchen and dining tents, Utensils and crampon ( a kind of metal plate with spikes fixed to a boot for walking on ice or rock climbing)
- First aid, oxygen cylinders, medical kits, and
- Qualified, experienced and certified professional trek leader, guide, and supporting staff.
There are different modes of transport to reach Dayara bugyal one can either reach by air, road or train.
The Jolly Grant Airport, Dehradun is well connected with major Indian cities. Dayara bugyal is at a distance of about 195 km with a travel time of around 7 hours by road.
Volvo buses operate from many places like Dehradun, Rajasthan, Himachal Pradesh, Lucknow, Punjab and many more. Dayara bugyal is well connected and a lot of buses and taxis are available from Rishikesh (210 km), Haridwar ( 230 km) and Dehradun ( 190 km).
Haridwar is the closest railway station which is at an approximate distance of 230 km with a travel time of around 8 hours to Dayara bugyal, Haridwar is well connected by train to many locations in India.
Some essentials to carry while heading out for a trek to Dayara bugyal are:
- Heavy woolen clothes
- Rainproof jackets
- Windproof jackets
- Thermal innerwear
- Water bottle
- A sturdy backpack with a plastic or waterproof lining
- Trekking shoes
- Snow boots
- Trekking pole
- Duffel bag or large rucksack to carry gear while trekking- that is sturdy and strong.
- Daypack: This is a small rucksack to carry the gear you will need while trekking. Camera, spare jacket, waterproof jacket, water bottle, pack lunch etc.
- Napkin / Towel
- Extra polythene bags ( for taking wet clothes)
- Medicines ex- muscle relaxant, antibiotics, vomiting and crepe
- Dry fruits Ex- Fig, Cashew nut and Almonds , chocolates can be bought that serve as energy boosters.
Due to adverse climatic conditions, travelers should exercise adequate pre-caution before embarking on this trip. Besides, their usual medicines, medications to handle respiratory problems, acute mountain sickness should be carried in consultation with the family physician. A pre-trip medical checkup will be beneficial to decide on which medicines to carry.It is best to carry an extra reserve of the medication to handle any adversities.
Some of the other important medicines/accessories suggested to be carried are:
- To prevent extreme frostbites and freezing temperatures wear good and proper trekking boots for keeping warm.
- Avoid wearing thick socks to ensure good blood circulation.
- Using track pants is preferable
- Avoid carrying snacks and junk foods
- Avoid using disposable plastic bags or any plastic wrapped items.
- Carry an extra pair of thermal innerwear
- Use only waterproof jackets and gloves
- Syringe kit- (mainly for diabetics)
- Antimalarial drugs/ medications
- Vision glasses: A spare glass will help in case the one in use is damaged.
- Contact lenses – A spare will help in case the one in use is damaged.
- Suture Kit- Kit is for use by local healthcare
- Normal medicines as applicable for – BP, Thyroid and other health issues.
- Medical alert tags, necklace or bracelet(For emergency identification).
- Cough drops
- Saline nose spray
- Antifungal ointments
- Bandages-Multiple sizes, gauze, and adhesive tape
- Cream for blisters
- Disposable gloves
- Digital thermometer
- Water purification tablets
- Scissors and safety pins
- Cotton swabs
- Eye drops
- Oral rehydration drops
Weather conditions in summer generally are between 0*C-20*C (March – June). In winter (November to February) while the low temperature varies between -3*C – – 5*C on the higher side it can go up to 13*C. Nights are usually cold in winter.
Undoubtedly, Dayara bugyal is one of the most beautiful meadows to trek. Travelers prefer this destination due to very pleasing sights and moderately difficulty of Dayara Bugyal trek. The trek is sure to provide a soothing and relaxing experience to take a break from the rigors of the daily monotonies. Dayara Bugyal trek is a soulful experience. Trekkers are bound to return to this region for a repeat of such mesmerizing experiences!!