About Kanamo Peak
Are you an adventure loving person? Then here waits for the perfect Kanamo peak trek for you. All you are going to do is to climb up a peak- The Kanamo peak. One of the rarest opportunity to trek 6000m above the sea level to enjoy the majestic views of The Himalayas. What awaits you is camping near the beautiful Chandratal and crossing through mesmerizing Spiti Valley- the land between Tibet and India. There are also a couple of forts which you can definitely visit as a part of the trip. There are age-old monasteries and high hamlets too along the way. This would be hence the classic expedition that you have been waiting for so long.
The best part is that it is one of those few peaks that could be hiked by an amateur in mountaineering.
Another highlight of the Kanamo Peak trek would be river rafting. Spiti River is one of the best spots for river rafting and trekkers can experience not just monotonous trekking but adventurous rafting too. So all you have to do is book a ticket to Manali, you will get a drive from there to Batal, and the drive to is exceptional as it crosses the Rohtang Pass and Lahaul valley. From Batal you would be hiking to the views of Chandratal, a lake that is located some 4300 meters above the sea level. The lake has the shape of a moon, hence the name. There are also many camps of shepherd communities next to the lake, helping you to learn more about the culture of the place and people. It is a moderate trekking, and not as technical as other trek seems to be, but it requires your effort.
But none of the efforts goes unrewarded. Awaiting you is the views of Kullu, Kinnaur, and Ladakh. From the top, you will get a sky view of the entire place which is the best sight that the Kanamo peak trek promises.
About the Kanamo Peak Trek
Kanamo is also called the white lady peak. It could be difficult or could be considered a task as hiking to the peak might cause issues related to acclimatization, but there is no doubt that the Kanamo peak trek is enjoyable and beautiful. You will come across the breathtaking views of Chandratal and Spiti valley and also you might encounter the Gaddi shepherds. You can also view the Bara Shigri Glacier, barren terrain of Lahaul and Spiti valley through Rohtang Pass. Coming across Gaddi shepherds who reside in the valley would be a good opportunity to learn more about the nomadic lifestyle that these people are into.
- An opportunity to do river rafting in the Spiti river
- 360-degree view of the entire place from the peak
- Moderate hiking, accessible to those who are amateurs in mountaineering
- Encounter with Gaddi shepherds letting one know more about their culture
- An opportunity to see the different forts, monasteries, and hamlets along the way
- Opportunity to camp in a river bank
- Opportunity to witness the mesmerizing view of Spiti valley
- The chance to visit Kibber, one of the highest inhabited villages
- Best of sunrise and sunsets.
- Have you ever done camping? If not this is your opportunity to. Sleeping under the star for 6 nights enjoying the scenic beauty around. Cherry on top, prepare a bonfire and have fun with friends
- The splendid view of ice-capped mountains and the grandiose of glaciers of the Spiti Lahaul range of the mighty Himalayas.
- A unique opportunity to meet new people live their experience, talk to them and getting to know peculiar cultures that you might never have the opportunity to come across otherwise.
- And most importantly- food. An opportunity to taste the local food from the authentic people.
- While returning one will pass through the Spiti river which is the place for many adventure sports like rafting
- The trek also passes through some old villages and grasslands.
Key Facts About Trekking To Kanamo Peak
- Location: Himachal Pradesh
- Starting from: Manali
- Temperature16°C-20°C degree Celsius in the morning; 4°C-4°C Celsius at night
- Trekking Distance: 27-kilometers
- Maximum altitude: 19553 feet
- Duration: 7 days 6 nights
- Difficulty Level: Moderate
- Nearest Railway Station: Pathankot Railway Station
- Nearest Airport: Bhuntar Airport, Kullu
- Accommodation Type: Camping
- Food: Nutritious food suitable for trekking
- ATM:Kaza, has the last ATM point before your trek begins
- Best time to visit: Mid-June to early October
- Duration: 3 Days and 2 Nights
- Key attractions: Spiti valley, Lahaul, Rohtang pass, monasteries, forts, Kibber, Spiti River etc
Drive from Manali to Batal
The first day begins with a breakfast from Manali and you will also receive a drive to Batal. Manali is at an elevation of 2000 meters and Batal at 3907 meters. The route is extremely beautiful as you would be passing through the majestic looks of Kullu valley and Manali valley. From there, there is a shift to the barren lands of Lahaul and Spiti. You would be driven through Rohtang pass on the Pir Panjal ranges of the Himalayas. Batal would be where the first day ends and it is allotted one whole night so that you could get acclimatized and be ready for the trekking happening the next day. As soon as you reach the destination you can prepare the work of your camps and get yourself busy with a small acclimatization hike. The night would be passed in the tents and the proper Kanamo peak trek would begin the next day. The drive from Manali to Batal is of 4 hours.
Trek from Batal to Chandratal
Trek from Chandratal to Kibber (4250 meters) through Kunzum La (4600m)
Trek from Kibber to Kanamo Base Camp
Trek from Kanamo Base Camp to Kanamo Peak Summit and back to Kanamo Base Camp
Descend from Kanamo Base Camp to Kibber (4 Hours) and drive from Kibber to Kaza (30 Minute drive)
Drive from Kaza to Manali
During the Kanamo Peak trek, accommodation would be on Triple or Quad Sharing (Camping)
The trip would include complete meals right from breakfast to dinner from the first to the sixth day of the Kanamo Peak trek. Attention is taken to provide each member with a healthy dish that would be vegetarian and takes care of the nutritional requirements of the body. You will also be provided with 6 small meals alongside tea or coffee in between the major meals.
- Trekking- The 7 days long trekking itself is the main activity that one would do. It is full of new experiences.
- Camping- The best part of the Trekking would be the night stays. Once you are tired from walking all day long, the campsites would provide you with all the comforts that you would need for the night. Since you are at an elevation you can observe the star-studded Camping would also be done on the banks of Chandratal.
- Waterfall visit- There are multiple waterfalls along the path you trek, which offers you with spectacular view
- Photography- The place offers multiple scopes for long exposure photography. The scenic beauty of Rohtang and Spiti valley and spectacular views of The Himalayas are also worth capturing
- Bonfire could be organized near the camping site for the night. One it is always fun and second, it helps you to overcome the extreme cold weather.
- River rafting opportunities at Spiti River.
- All the required permits and the entry fees are
- A First aid medical kit consisting of the required and essential medicines.
- Qualified and experienced Trek Guide and support staff to guide your way and to take timely decisions.
- All the taxes are also included
- Safety equipment
- Camping Charges
If the trekker chooses to include transport while booking, paying an extra charge, the cost of transport from Manali start to end would be accommodated by us. The vehicle that offers comfort would be preferred by us over local jeeps. The transportation would be in a Toyota Innova, Mahindra Xylo, Mahindra Scorpio, and Tempo Traveller. The transport tariff includes all driver charges, fuel, parking, toll, and taxes. The transportation from the lodge to the trekking site is also covered. The transport from the Manali to Batal and the return trip will be provided for the visitor. Any other means of transport if required shall come at the trekker’s expenses. From Manali, one can go through bus till Delhi and then go by flight or train to wherever one has to reach.
- Make sure you carry with you warm clothes, jackets, raincoat, fleece, thermals – carry in multiple numbers at the same time not quite a lot for it is always advisable to carry lesser luggage during the Kanamo Peak Trek. However, at times rain and snowfall can’t be predicted hence it is always better to carry a raincoat along with jackets
- Carry hand gloves, trekking poles, a pair of sturdy trekking shoes and extra pairs of socks shall be carried. Make sure that you don’t forget any of these as trek would be nearly impossible then
- Also remember to take along water bottles, energy bars, chewing gums, and energy drinks. This is because you will for sure get dehydrated on the trip, hence one has to make sure he/she is hydrated. Energy bars help you to keep a check on your appetite. And since you are walking quite a lot both energy bars and drinks would be of use.
- Make sure you are carrying with you some kind of painkillers for your legs might hurt from trekking and sunscreen lotions.
- Caps/hats, sunglasses, and towels should also be carried along with you
- If possible oxygen cylinder or alternatives to create oxygen like camphor could be taken along.
- Make sure you are taking with you a backpack which has waterproof linings
- Personal toiletries and medication if any shall also be taken along
- Medication is extremely important as you are visiting a remote area, for 5 days
- It is always better to take a lot of precautions so that you don’t feel sorry later. Extra batteries shall be taken and make sure that your equipment is fully charged.
- Also carry with you beanie and sun cap, light towel and scarfs
- Cold cream and sunscreen lotion (SPF 40+)
- Headlamp or torch with fresh pair of batteries
- How To Reach (Getting There)
The closest airport is at Bhuntar. It is situated almost 50-kilometers away from Manali. There are Domestic flights from Delhi and Chandigarh that links with Bhuntar. From the airport, one can opt for a prepaid taxi to Manali. However taking into account the weather conditions of this place, Air transport isn’t the best nor the most reliable option to get to Manali. One can rather travel till Delhi by flight and look for other options to reach Manali.
There are many state-run as well as private buses that connect Manali with multiple other destinations like Leh, Kullu, Delhi, Dharamshala, and Shimla among others. Delhi to Manali s 550-kilometers and it is always better if the tickets are pre-booked in AC Volvo buses. This is a busy route and tickets might not be available without reservations. And Volvo buses are better than the rest when you take into account the long trip ahead.
Joginder Nagar is the closest railway station to Manali. Manali doesn’t have a railway station to itself. This is some 50-kilometers away from Manali. The best way is to either come to Ambala or Chandigarh or then ride to Joginder Nagar via train.
- Weather conditions of a mountainous region or any high altitude region for that matter are very different from that of a plain. One might experience altitude sickness. Hence take ample time to get acclimatized to the high altitude
- All of the visitors may not be experienced trekkers, or you might not be knowing the intricacies related to this place, which is the reason why listening to your trek leader or guide is of utmost importance so that your whole journey is both safe and enjoyable
- Make sure that you do not consume alcohol during the trek. Try to stay away from any sort of intoxicant. You are climbing uphill and this might have serious consequences
- Altitude Sickness also knew as acute mountain sickness is caused by less exposure to oxygen at high altitudes. The symptoms could be non-specific. Breathlessness is a common symptom to speak of. A headache, fatigue, stomach illness, dizziness, and the sleep disturbances are the other. Acetazolamide is the medicine that helps in curing acclimatization. However in the worst case scenario, one must descend the place immediately.
- Make sure your cameras are well packed and protected from moisture
- Make sure that you Kanamo Peak Trek in the day and not in the night
- And most important of all is this, the Trek is along an eco-friendly as well as to be protected region. Hence act responsibly and do not litter
- Make sure you are taking with you a trekking shoe and not a sports shoe. The shoe shall be sturdy, with a hard sole and ankle support and it would be better if it is waterproof.
- Also, make sure you take both cotton and woolen Woollen to use while at the camps in the night and cotton while trekking
- Ideal clothing would be quick-dry synthetic pants and full-sleeved t-shirts and protection for your neck from sunburn
- Make sure you aren’t wearing loud colors
The best time to go for this Trekking is from mid-June to October when the climate is comparatively pleasant. Early months of the year clearly means chances of snowfall on high passes. This, however, melts down in the month of August. Kullu Manali gets good rainfall and during the monsoon season, it might rain heavily. However, the high altitude regions of Spiti valley or Seri meadows will be quite sunlit and warm during the daytime. The temperature might be in between 12 degree Celsius to 20 degree Celsius. However, it goes down steeply during the night too -2 degree Celsius to 6 degree Celsius. September and October are the best months of the year or a tourist as the weather is extremely good with fewer chances of rain, and less snowfall and considerable warmth. In the beginning of October temperature again starts to drop. Day temperature is still found fluctuating between 12 degree Celsius to 18 Degree Celsius. However, at the night, it might be anywhere in between -6 degree Celsius to 2 degree Celsius, which the trekkers might find difficult to endure. Altitude Sickness also knew as acute mountain sickness is caused by less exposure to oxygen at high altitudes.
The symptoms could be non-specific. Breathlessness is a common symptom to speak of. A headache, fatigue, stomach illness, dizziness, and sleep disturbances are the other. Acetazolamide is the medicine that helps in curing acclimatization. However in the worst case scenario, one must descend the place immediately.