About the Kareri Lake Trek:
The Kareri Lake Trek is a suitable option for those willing to explore the beautiful Himalayan peaks. Hovering between the ranges of Dhauladhar Mountain the Kareri Lake Trek presents some of the most scenic views. The Kareri Lake Trek passes through lush green forests full of chir and chilgoza pine trees. The Kareri Lake Trek route continues through the rocky landscapes along the lake. Trekkers start from Pathankot, which is a 3-hour drive and the route is full of beautiful and exotic scenery full of rough terrains until reaching Salli base camp. On the 2nd day trekkers get acclimatized to the climatic conditions and on the 3rd day they trek towards the beautiful Handi forests.
Trekkers have full view of huge snow filled peaks, lush green meadows in its pristine form. The Daled Camp is the most famous spot, which provides spectacular views of the Dhauladher Himalayan Range. After reaching the lake at an altitude of 3300 m, just enjoy the beauty of the wonderful water, Dhauladhar and the surrounding peaks. The Kareri Lake Trek finally descends through the Handi forests. Passing through the rugged terrains and freezing wonderful moments on camera are sure to enthuse the trekkers who are avid nature lovers. This Kareri Lake Trek is also an opportunity to visit the local markets and experience the life and culture of the locals.
Kareri Lake Trek Highlights:
Some of the Kareri Lake Trek highlights are:
- See some of the small villages and streams through the Kareri Lake Trek.
- Enjoy the beauty of the region covered in snow-capped Himalayas.
- Trekkers trek through the beautiful forests of Oak, Alpine, Rhododendron and the Fir.
- Get a very rare opportunity to see the diverse flora and fauna of this region.
- See and freeze on camera stunning views of the majestic peaks of the Dhauladhar range.
- Interact with the local people, have a get together with them for a tea, and learn about their culture and tradition.
- Relish local cuisine and flavors of the region.
Key Facts – Kareri Lake Trek:
- Region: Kangra district ,Himachal Pradesh ( Dharamshala)
- Starting Point: Mcleodganj
- Ending Point: Mcleodganj
- Duration: 8 Days and 7 Nights
- Ideal Time: The best time to do Kareri Lake Trek is March – November since the weather is pleasant, sunny in daytime and calm at nights. After monsoon, somewhere between mid-November – February the entire region is covered with dense snowfall and torrential rainfall.
- Temperature: In summer the temperature varies between 12*C- 20*C – Climate is hot and sunny but in winter it drops at freezing point to -1*C.
- Level: Trekkers need to be prepared to face adverse weather conditions on the way. They need to be physically fit and high endurance levels. Suggested to have joints, muscles, legs in good condition before embarking on the trek.
- Total Distance: 29 Kms
- Maximum elevation: 3100 m – The Kareri Lake Trek starts from Mcleodganj and further goes through Mankiani, Baleni, Lioti and ends at the Kareri Lake. (11972 ft).
- Weather: Hot and sunny during May – June. Temperature ranges between 12*C-20*C. During September- October temperature drops to -4*C with dense snowfalls.
- Communication: Major telecommunication services like Airtel and Jio get better connectivity as compared to BSNL network. However in case of emergencies only an emergency communication system (ECS) system 1that is (computer-based) or satellite communication works.
- ATM Point: Center Point Civil Lines District, Kangra or Dharamshala is the last ATM point in this region before the Kareri Lake Trek starts
- Health insurance cards and policy waiver.
- Proof of yellow fever vaccination – If in case the trip needs travelers to take completed International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis card or medical waiver.
- Copies of all prescriptions- Be sure to have copies of all prescriptions that have generic drug names. Also, carry prescriptions for eyeglasses/ contact lenses and other essential medical supplies.
- Photo Identity ID card, PAN, Driving License, Voter ID ( better to carry copies for submission to any higher authorities)
- Contact details
- Travelers must carry cards having contact numbers and e- mail id of their friends/ relatives in case of any emergencies.
Inclusions (Kareri Lake Trek)
Accommodation is provided in lodges during the stay at Mcleodganj and teahouses or tents will be given to trekkers during their stay in the mountains. The types of accommodation during the trek are:
- Guest houses
- Tea houses
- Home stay
- Parachute tents
- Insulated mats
- Down or fiber filled jacket
Accommodation is provided on a twin or triple sharing basis. Rooms are of high quality like rooms with a/c. Some of the hotels are star rated. When non-a/c rooms are provided and trekkers have to share rooms with others. In case travelling, alone they will be given rooms and accommodation on the first and last day of the trek. Trekkers when staying at these hotels get an unparalleled picture of nature. The salubrious environment and the rich and diverse culture of this state gives a beautiful experience for trekkers to trek in this region. The peaks, mountains, flora and fauna that gives peace to the mind surround this region. Each individual is taken care with full care and concern and they provide best services to the best satisfaction to the travelers. Hospitality and warmth is the only motto and fond memories kindle their desires to visit this place repeatedly.
There are plenty of Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam (GMVN) hotels at a distance of 16 km from Mcdeolganj in the interiors of Kangra district. By far Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam offers economy accommodation in dormitories with basic facilities like i.e- clean linen, hot water facilities and an attached bathroom.
Travelers should book through travel portals to avail discounts and cheap rates on hotel bookings. Some of the hotels recommended for stay are:
|Hotel Snow Crest Inn Private Ltd||3 Star|
|Backpackers Inn||4 Star|
|Hotel Udechee Huts||4 Star|
|Hotel Akash||4 Star|
|Kamal Residency||3 Star|
|Hotel Naddi Heights||4 Star|
|Hotel Natraj||3 Star|
|8 Auspicious Him View Hotel||4 Star|
|Hotel Jungle Hut||3 Star|
|Lake View Resort||4 Star|
|Hotel Sahima||4 Star|
|Hotel Shikhar Dharamshala||4 Star|
|Hotel The Vaikunth||4 Star|
|Hotel Ekant Lodge||3 Star|
|HOTEL INDIA HOUSE||3 Star|
|Snow Retreat||4 Star|
|Ladies Venture||4 Star|
|Hotel Victoria Palace||3 Star|
|Hotel Eco Nest||4 Star|
|Green Hotel||4 Star|
|Hotel Omni & Restaurant||3 Star|
|Rudraaksh House||4 Star|
There are different foods served during the course of the trek that is particular to the Kangra region. This food is also called “Pahari Foods”. These foods are cooked in slow heat, involves lot of preparations, and takes time, while some other dishes are very simple to prepare. Each food has a style and taste of their own coupled with the unique collection. The food is cooked in copper utensils and only leaf plates are used for serving the dishes. Some of the vegetarian dishes that is famous in Kangra are Dham, Kale Channa ki khatta and the sweet rice mithdee is prepared from boondi or breadcrumbs. There are different foods of the Kangra region like Dhuni, Saag, Bhuja, Pakode and Chutney. This region is famous for fermented food items like bhatura and betudan roti. Other popular wheat items are dhandaar, chareli, babroo and patende. Non-vegetarian foods like mutton, chicken, trout fish and meat and the dishes prepared from them are also very famous. Vegetables and fruits like Java fig, colocasea, pigweed, basil, watercress and buckwheat are used in plenty that contain high iron, calcium and phosperous while buckwheat, grass pea and other legumes have high proteins. Seera is a good source of nutrition. Those who come to Kangra will not go back without relishing the Kangra cuisine and the assortment of different dishes.
- c) Activities:
Some of the activities that are popular in the Kangra region are:
- River rafting
- Visit to the Maharana Pratap Lake
- Heli- Skiing
- Water rafting
- Aquatic adventure activities- scuba diving, swimming, diving
- Cultural and scenic tours
- Scuba diving
- Bungee jumping
- Rock climbing
- Kids camps
d) Other Inclusions:
Other inclusions are:
- Pick up from Dharamshala to Kareri village and back
- First aid kits
- Meals- Including snacks, soups, breakfast from the starting to the beginning of the trek.
- Single/ twin sharing basis tents
- Micro spikes in case of hard ice
- Gaiters in case of deep snow
- Good quality accommodation
- Trek pack including sleeping bag
- Down or fiber filled jacket
- Insulated mat
- All park entrance fees and trekking permits
- Porters to carry all personal and group equipment.
- Professional Guide during the trek.
- Camping permission and charges
- Bonfire and fun activities if time and weather permits.
- Meditation at sunrise
- All transfers and sightseeing by non a/c SUVs as per itinerary
- Fluent English speaking guide
- All Arrival / Departure transfers as per the tour itinerary.
- Parking and toll tax, driver allowance, fuel.
How To Reach For Kareri Lake Trek
Can reach Mcleodganj either by air, train or road.
The Gaggal Airport, commonly known as Kangra Airport is the main airport close to Dharamshala. The airport is 22 km and has flights from Dharamshala to Delhi as well to many major cities of India. From the airport, buses and cars are easily available to go to Mcdeolganj.
The Pathankot Railway station is the nearest railhead that is 84 km from Dharamshala. Pathankot lies in the train route to Jammu and Kashmir and is well connected to many Indian cities. The journey from Pathankot to Dharamshala is 3 hours. From the station, there are many buses or taxis to reach Dharamshala.
By Bus :
Dharamshala is well connected with all major cities of North India like Delhi, Chandigarh, Manali, Srinagar, and Dehradun through state owned buses and private taxis. Travelers can take buses/ cabs from Dharamshala or Mcdeolganj to Nioli village that is the nearest point of the trek. Trekkers can take MDR 45 (state highway) that takes 2 hours to cover a distance of approximately 50 Kms.
About Kareri Lake:
The “KARERI LAKE” is located at an altitude of 3,300 m above sea level, this trek is the also called the “DHARAMSALA OR THE KUMARWAH LAKE” and is one of the most beautiful lakes of Himachal Pradesh. The snow capped peaks of the Dhauladhar Range is a source of water, and this serene lake and landscapes just mesmerizes everyone across the world. The Dhauladhar peaks add to the beauty of the lake – it is fully frozen during December- April. By far this is the main attraction of the Kareri Lake trek. The Kareri Lake originates from the Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh.
Trekkers also participate in the local tours and adventure activities like Tyrolean Traversing and the same time they can explore the unknown region with some of the most diverse flora and fauna. Trekkers can capture memorable moments when they reach the peak of the trek. After continuing the trek through lush green meadows, wild / colorful orchards and dense forests one can see some of the beautiful Himalayan animals and bird species besides some breathtaking campsites. This trek is rated as one of the favorite treks among the enthusiastic photographers and nature lovers who love to spend some time by capturing pictures of nature at its best!
Mcleodganj / Pathankot to Salli Village – 90 Kms – 3 Hrs – By Road
beautiful terrains that leads to the Salli base camp. After arriving at the camp get refreshed and have lunch. After having lunch trekkers take a short walk to the Salli Village and Khauli River. After that, return to the camp have dinner with a bonfire and sleep to have a relaxed state of mind before the trek starts!
Acclimatization Day in Salli
Suggest having acclimatization walks multiple times during the day to get the body adjusted to weather conditions. After lunch prepare the rucksacks for a thrilling journey that is waiting the next day.
Salli to Camp-I – 6 Kms – 4 Hrs
Trekkers after enjoying adventure return to the camps for a warm campfire followed by dinner. Overnight stay will be at the tents.
Camp-I to Camp -II at Daled Camp – 5 Kms – 3 Hrs
During the trek, trekkers can see the majestic peaks of the Dhauladher Himalayas and explore the lush green meadows. One can surely enjoy the un-spoilt and pristine nature in its original form. On their arrival at the camps have some soft drinks, have lunch, and stay in the tents. After relaxing for sometime,
explore the exotic beauty of the meadows. The Daled camp offers stunning views of the snow capped Himalayan Mountains. As evening sets in gradually,trekkers return to the campsites and relish the soups, dinner followed by campfire. Overnight stay will be at the tents.
Camp-II - Kareri Lake – (3,300 m) - Camp-II - 6 Kms
breakfast at Camp-II trekkers start to reach an altitude of 3300 m of the Kareri lake above the sea level. On reaching the lakeside, enjoy the exotic beauty of the azure waters, and panoramic sight of the Dhauladhar and other mountain peaks. After this return from the Kareri lake trekking back to Camp-II. Trekkers after arriving at the campsite have lunch and relax for the day. In the evening, have warm soups and dinner with campfire. Overnight stay will be at the tents.
Camp-II to Camp-I – 6 Kms – 4 Hrs
forests, and reach Campsite-I sometime by afternoon. Post lunch relax in the camps. In the evening trekkers have a leisurely dinner with soups and campfire. Spend the night in the tents.
Camp-I to Salli – 6 Kms
see the local market and the culture and tradition of the local people. After their arrival at the basecamp, trekkers have lunch and relax for the day. As the evening sets in, a campfire is organized and thereafter dinner with soup is served. Overnight stay will be in tents.