ABOUT THE DESTINATION:
The region is situated in the serenity of the beautiful and stunning Garhwal Himalayas, Trekkers eagerly look forward to undertaking Kedarkantha trek as it provides a wonderful opportunity to enjoy the scenic beauty and spend time in the lap of nature. Besides, region’s scenic natural beauty is complemented with the charming hamlets, lush and green meadows, and breathtaking views of the towering peaks of the Himalayas. The meandering trail to the 12,000 ft tall summit passes through the Govind National Park that gives a beautiful view of the Himalayan flora and fauna. The sight of the peaks of Swaragarohini, Banderpoonch, Kala Nag (black peak) and Ranglana and the highlight of the trek where the sunsets against the backdrop of the majestic and imposing snow-capped mountains are sure to fascinate everyone!. Kedarkantha trek ranks as one of the most beautiful and sought-after treks in the world. The “Juda-Ka-Talab” surrounded and covered by huge pine trees is a feast for the eyes.
b) THE TREK:
The exquisite journey of the charming peaks of the Kedarkantha starts from Dehradun. From Dehradun, it takes a long drive to Sankri situated at an altitude of 6,400 ft and takes approximately around 10 hrs to reach. The route passes thru Mussoorie. Though the route is remote the delightful sights on the way is sure to interest travelers. During this trail, trekkers come across majestic views of snowcapped mountains, lush green meadows, a variety of flora and fauna, maple trees, and frozen ponds!. Amazing surroundings of every campsite enveloped in pine trees appeal to one’s aesthetic senses. The trek is one of the least expensive and can be enjoyed with pleasure and comfort. The Kedarkantha trek is usually undertaken in winter
c) TREK HIGHLIGHTS:
- Region: Uttrakhand
- Starting Point: Sankri
- Ending Point: Sankri
- Duration: 6 days and 5 nights
- Ideal Time: December-April
- Level: Easy
- Total Distance: 20 Km
- Maximum elevation: 12,500 Ft.
- Weather: Best season to visit Kedarkantha is winter from December- April. It is full of snow during these months. Trekkers will see snows on the first day of the Kedarkantha trek itself while trekking from Sankri to Juda ka Talab.
- Communication: Emergency communication is difficult, as the route after Sankri will not have mobile connectivity. In case trekkers go with a troupe, walkie-talkies are available to communicate with the base camp. BSNL mobile connectivity works well on some sections of the Kedarkantha trek.
- ATM Points: Purola is the last ATM point here.
d) KEY FACTS ABOUT TREK:
- This is a ‘round the year’ trek and can be undertaken in both summer and winter.
- The campsite is great for bird watching ng and surrounded by beautiful snow peak and stunningly wide clearings in the forests.
- Har Ki Dun Road at Sankri is located at the confluence of the Supin River. A temple dedicated to Lord Someswar Temple on the banks of the river is a worth a visit. There is also a small market in Sankri. Here, sunset is a treat to watch.
Dehradun – Sankri – 210 Km – 8 Hrs
Sankri to Juda kaTaalab (9,100 Ft) –4 Kms– 4 Hrs
Juda ka Talaab to Kedarkantha Base – (11,250 Ft) – 4 Kms – 3 Hrs
Kedarkantha Base to Kedarkantha Summit and descend to Hargaon (12,250 Ft) –6 Kms – 7 Hrs
Trek from Hargaon back to Sankri (6,400 Ft) 6 Kms – 4 Hrs-
Drive from Sankri to Dehradun – 210 Km – 8Hrs-
- a) Accommodation:
Accommodation is available at Sankri and there are limited options due to the peak season.Here are some recommended hotels in Sankri where travelers can stay while visiting Kedarkantha. Some of the recommended hotels are:
- Swaragarohini Hotel, Sankri: It is situated 1 km from Saur village, and 11 km from Netwar bus stop. This place has 24×7 accommodation ( round the clock) with a friendly guest service.
- GMVN ( Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam), Sankri: It is one of the best-priced guesthouses for travelers, and is situated in a small suburb connecting the road from Sankri- Mori. There are 5 and 15 bedded dormitory available. It has hot water and attached bathroom in each room.
- Wild Orchid: It is one of best hotels in Sankri, and is located just before the reserve forest area. It has two floors and rooms. Rooms have attached bathrooms with both hot and cold-water facilities.
Usually, only vegetarian meals are provided for the entire duration of the trek. In addition, breakfast, tea/ coffee, and light snacks are also given. Some of the meals provided are :
- c) Activities:
Some of the activities done during the Kedarkantha Trek are:
- River Crossing
- Scuba diving
- Kids adventure camping
- Other Inclusions:
Besides accommodation and food other inclusions of the Kedarkantha trek are:
- Necessary permits
- Medical and first aid kits
- Qualified, professional and well-experienced trip leader, well-informed guide and support staff.
Travelers can reach the place by a combination of the following modes – ie:
By Air: Jolly Grant Airport, Dehradun is the nearest airport. This is well connected to many cities in India. Travelers can take either government buses or private taxis to Sankri which is at a distance of around 210 Kms with a travel time of around 8 Hours.
By Train: There is an overnight train from Delhi- Dehradun – ie. Nandadevi Express with a journey time of around 6 Hours. Besides, Dehradun which is the nearest railhead is very well connected to many cities.
By Bus / Road : Dehradun is well connected to Kedarkantha and all northern cities due to good motorable roads. Bus services are available in plenty from Delhi- Dehradun. Travelers can choose sleeper, semi- deluxe, deluxe, AC Volvo buses as well. In addition to that Dehradun is well connected with Delhi by buses on daily buses from Kashmiri Gate ISBT. By bus, it takes approximately 10 hours for reaching Sankri and most the buses directly ply early in the morning to Kedarkantha. ( via- Dehradun).
Some essentials to carry while heading out for a trek to KEDARKANTHA are:
- Backpack with rain cover
- Trekking Shoes
- Full sleeve / T-shirts and track pants
- Cotton / Woolen socks
- Full sleeves sweater or fleece jacket
- Thermal inners
- Sun cap
- Lip balm
- Cold cream
- Sunscreen (SPF 40+)
- Water bottle 1 Lt
- Headlamp or torch with fresh pair of batteries
- Personal toilet kit and toilet paper
- Personal medicine kit
- Dark sunglasses (U/V protected)
- Walking stick (one)
- Snow boots
- Trekking pole
- Duffel bag or large rucksack to carry gear while trekking- that is sturdy and strong.
- Daypack: This is a small rucksack to carry the gear you will need while trekking. Camera, spare jacket, waterproof jacket, water bottle, pack lunch etc.
- Extra polythene bags ( for taking wet clothes)
- Medicines ex- muscle relaxant, antibiotics, vomiting and crape
- Dry fruits Ex- Fig, Cashew nut and Almonds, chocolates can be bought that serve as energy boosters.
Travelers can reach Kedarkantha via Sankri since this the starting point from Uttarakhand. Dehradun to Sankri is around 220 km and this route pass through Mussoorie, Naugaon, Purola, Mori, Netwar and then Sankri in Govind Pashu National Park.To reach Kedarkantha there are two alternatives, one can go through Sankri by shared jeeps or public buses. Two direct buses run from Dehradun to Kedarkantha via Sankri leave early in the morning sometime around 5- 7 am which leave from nearby to the railway station. The journey takes 10-11 hours. In the alternative, travelers can travel by bus from Dehradun to Purola which is at a distance of around 145 Kms with a travel time of around 5 Hours. Even taxis / shared jeeps are available tillPurola. Travelers can reach Kedarkantha by buses/taxis which is at a distance of around 20 Kms with a travel time of around 1 Hr.
Due to adverse climatic conditions, travelers should exercise adequate pre-caution before embarking on this trip. Besides, their usual medicines, medications to handle respiratory problems, acute mountain sickness medicines should be carried in consultation with the family physician. A pre-trip medical checkup will be beneficial to decide on which medicines to carry.It is best to carry an extra reserve of the medication to handle any adversities.
Some of the other important medicines/accessories suggested to be carried are:
- To prevent extreme frostbites and freezing temperatures wear good and proper trekking boots for keeping warm.
- Avoid wearing thick socks to ensure good blood circulation.
- Using track pants is preferable
- This package has two variations – ie. one which has a pickup and drop from Dehradun and the other from Sankri.
- Climatic conditions differ in high altitudes so trekkers need enough time to get acclimatized in the plains.
- Adequate listening to the guides instructions will ensure that trekkers enjoy a smooth and comfortable trekking experience.
- Avoid alcohol during the Kedarkantha trek.
- Avoid using disposable plastic bags or any plastic wrapped items.
- Do not dump/litter the place with garbage since these places are an eco- friendly zones.
- Carry an extra pair of thermal innerwear
- Use only waterproof jackets and gloves
- Syringe kit- (mainly for diabetics)
- Antimalarial drugs/ medications
- Vision glasses: A spare for use if the one in use fails.
- Contact lenses – A spare for use if the one in use fails.
- Suture Kit- Kit is for use by local health care providers and requires a letter from the doctor on a letterhead stationery.
- Normal medicines as applicable for – BP, Thyroid and other health issues.
- Medical alert tags, necklace or bracelet(For emergency identification).
- Cough drops
- Saline nose spray
- Antifungal ointments
- Bandages-Multiple sizes, gauze, and adhesive tape
- Cream for blisters
- Disposable gloves
- Digital thermometer
- Water purification tablets
- Scissors and safety pins
- Cotton swabs
- Eye drops
- Oral rehydration drops