About Sandakphu & Phalut
Sandakphu Phalut trek is one essential trek that any of the trekkers shall carry out. Sandakphu located at 3636 meters above the sea level is the highest ever point in West Bengal. The trek also covers the Singalila ridge. You will get to see remarkable panoramic views of Makalu, Kanchenjunga, Janu, Everest, Chamlang, Lhotse, Baruntse and a host of Sikkim peaks all seen in one stretch. The famous “Sleeping Buddha” formation of peaks is a delight for all.
You will get to see a picturesque view of mountain ranges in the Nepal Sikkim border. Camping in tents and staying inside tree houses this is the perfect adventure that you were searching for. You will also get to see the famous Singalila National Park which is known for its thick forest covers and Rhododendron blooms. Not just that, you will get to see various kinds of forests like Wet Temperate Forests, Mixed Coniferous Forests, Sub-alpine Birch-Fir and Conifer Forest and Moist Dry Alpine Scrub (Rhododendron and Juniper scrubs) at different altitudes. This is also a perfect trek for a nature enthusiast.
The trees inside these forests are really old, the area itself is damp and wet. There are ferns that hang from the sides of tree trunks and mosses and lichens along the route. Spring makes the place entirely different and beautiful with its Rhododendron blooms and magnolia blossoms. There is a rich plant diversity in the place with not just these magnolias and rhododendrons but primulas, gentians, potentillas, poppies and aconites. Winter does not do much to the forest cover as it is still dense and green, however there is Maple foliage during the fall, making the floor of forest extremely picturesque.
Not just flora, but the forests are known for its rich biodiversity for animals as well. There are Flycatchers and warblers, Sun birds, Thrushes and Babblers, Tits & Fiches which chirp and squeak all the time. Also as said it has many flowers inside the forest, which in turn attracts many butterflies. There are many endemic and endangered animal species including Red Panda, Barking Deer (Kakar), Himalayan Black Bear, Marbled Cat among others.
About the Phalut Trek
Anyone with the idea of exploring either Sikkim or Darjeeling would love this trek. The trek is easy to carry out and could be done by beginners as well as experts. Along the way you will get to see Sleeping Buddha, Famous trio(Everest Lhotse, Makalu), and numerous other ranges.
- An opportunity to see 4 out of the 5 highest peaks of the world
- An opportunity to carryout bird watching
- Spectacular views of sunrise and sunsets
- A rare chance to see the endangered species of Red Panda
- Rhododendron and Magnolia Blooms
- Rich Biodiversity
- The splendid view of ice capped mountains and the grandiose of glaciers of the Pir Panjal range of the mighty Himalayas.
- An opportunity to visit famous Singalila National Park
- you will get to see various kinds of forests like Wet Temperate Forests, Mixed Coniferous Forests, Sub-alpine Birch-Fir and Conifer Forest and Moist Dry Alpine Scrub (Rhododendron and Juniper scrubs) at different altitudes
Key Facts About Trek
- Location: Darjeeling
- Starting from: New Jaipalguri
- Temperature: 10C to15C in the morning; 2C to 5C at night
- Trekking Distance: 80 kilo meters
- maximum altitude: 11925 feet or 3636 meters
- Difficulty Level: Easy
- Nearest Railway Station: New Jaipalguri Railway Station
- Nearest Airport: Bagdogra Airport
- Accommodation Type: Camping, Hotels
- Food: Nutritious food suitable for trekking
- Best time to visit: Mid March to May
- Duration: 8 Days and 7 Nights