Triund Trek, Triund Trek Itinerary – Lehladakhxp
THE TRIUND TREK surrounded by the Dhauladhar Range and the captivating beauty of Dharamshala, is a captivating trek. This famous trekking destination in Himachal Pradesh, with salubrious climate, natural beauty and grandeur enthuses one and all. Trekkers can witness the majestic Dhauladhar Range on one side and the Kangra valley on the other. Exciting terrains with tricky curves and bends that is tough and challenging, makes this destination a treasure for adventure lovers. Besides, the lush green ambiance, and pristine beauty adds to the rejuvenating and relaxing experience. Gushing waters with the murmuring sound provides positive vibrations to the whole atmosphere. One can experience the Tibetan culture – view the impressive cloisters, supplication banners and wheels, and the lamas. All in all an enchanting trip!
About Triund Trek:
Triund trek provides abundant excitement and attraction of trekking through the invigorating terrains with a soul soothing and peaceful inner feeling. There are yoga sessions during the triund trek. Enjoy the celestial beauty of the region. Though short, the trek is a visual treat with the views of the highest mountain ranges of the Dhauladhar and Kangra valley – ie. Mun, Rifle Horn, Arthur’s seat and Slab. Sunset and moonrise are visual treat to watch. Camping under the clear blue skies is a unique experience. Memories of this wonderful trip will linger on forever!
Triund Trek Highlights:
Some of the highlights of triund trek are:
- See many small hamlets and witness the beauty of the entire region.
- Stunning views of the Dhauladhar ranges on one side and Kangra valley on the other.
- Enjoy camping at a high summit, and clear night sky under billions of stars. Trekkers can also enjoy bonfire with their friends.
- Witness the rare species, flora and fauna of the region.
- Trek through the alpine forests of Fir, Rhododendron and Oak.
- See and enjoy the exotic and beautiful sights of Mun, Rifle Horn, Arthur’s seat and Slab.
- Relish the local cuisine of this region.
Key Facts About Trek To Triund:
|Region||Kangra District- Himachal Pradesh|
|Duration||2 Days 1 Night|
|Ideal Time||The best time to do triund trek is March-June as the weather is warm, pleasant and sunny. In winter the entire region is cold with dense snowfalls and is not recommended for trek.|
|Temperature||The temperature is between 15*C-20*C in the day and drops to -5*C at nights.|
|Level||Difficult. Trekkers need to be physically fit and undergo periodic fitness exercises before undertaking this trek. Need to walk long distances. The trails are tricky and steep. Ideally, trekkers should be free of any ailments. Exercises like jogging, breathing will be helpful for high altitude acclimatization quickly.|
|Total Distance||9 Kms|
|Maximum Elevation||Triund trek starts at an elevation of 2828 m of the Dhauladar ranges and reaches a maximum elevation of 4425 m at the Indradar pass.|
|Weather||March – Mid June is the best time to go for trekking. Weather is warm, cozy and pleasant with temperature between 15*C-22*C though it can drop to freezing point at -6*C when the entire region is covered with sheets of snow.|
|Communication||All 3G and 4G mobile services work, and there are landlines of all telecommunication networks that work here, but once trekkers reach the peak all the connectivity is totally cut off. In case of emergency, datanet services, emergency communication services or satellite communication works.|
|ATM Point||The last ATM point that trekkers can find is at Dharamkot before the trek starts.|
|1||Mcleodganj to Triund (2875 metres / 9 Kms / 4 Hours)- Arrive at the base camp at Mcleodganj, and start the trek to Triund through Dharamkot. The walk is beautiful through the forests of Deodar, Oak and Rhododendron. Triund is located on a ridge with the Kangra valley on one side and the Dhauladar ranges on the other. After having lunch, trekkers reach the campsite at Triund and stay overnight here.|
|2||Triund to Mcleodganj and Departure (9 Kms / 3 Hours)- After breakfast checkout of the camps from Triund and trek back to Mcdeolganj. On the way trekkers see the beautiful Bhasgu falls. Board the bus in the evening and depart to their respective destinations.|
- Health insurance cards and policy waiver.
- Proof of yellow fever vaccination – If in case the trip needs travelers to take completed International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis card or medical waiver.
- Copies of all prescriptions- Be sure to have copies of all prescriptions that have generic drug names. Also, carry prescriptions for eyeglasses/ contact lenses and other essential medical supplies.
- Photo Identity ID card, PAN, Driving License, Voter ID (better to carry copies for submission to any higher authorities).
- Disclaimer form to be duly filled and signed by a certified trek leader.
- Contact details
- Travelers must carry cards having contact numbers and e- mail-id of their friends/ relatives in case of any emergencies.
The best time to visit the Triund Trek is between March – June as the temperature is warm and pleasant. Travelers who love snowfall / snow trekking can visit between October – February.
Winter (December- Mid March):
This season is very cold with heavy snowfall, and the temperature drops to -1*C. It is advisable to carry woolen clothes to keep warm, and for people who want to enjoy the beautiful snowfall it is a good time for visit. However, in general, not an ideal time for visit.
Monsoon (July- September):
This region receives good rainfall and there is risk of landslides due to which the roads may be fully blocked. Not recommended for visits.
This season is warm and pleasant with temperature between 22*C-38*C and there are different flowers are in full bloom. This season is also a best time for many adventure activities. However, the region will be very crowded during this season.
Autumn/ Spring (October – November):
This season is also a best time for visit since during this time, there are hues of flowers blossoming- Acashia, Alstromeria, Amaryllis, Carnation, Chrysanthemums, Orchids, Star of Bethlehem, Lily. The winter is over by this time, and the temperature ranges between 16*C-20*C. Lohri, Shivratri and Basant Panchami are some famous festivals that are celebrated at the beginning of the summer. This season is good for adventure activities and treks can be undertaken.
Just as Lord Shiva has “Three Eyes”, trekkers when coming to this place can soak themselves within three personality traits for lasting inner peace – “The Spiritual”, “The Mental” and the “The Physical”. A short but a sweet and enlightening trips awaits you!
Some guidelines to follow are:
- Climatic conditions in the high altitudes differ from those of that in the plains hence, trekkers should take enough time to get themselves acclimatized to the high altitudes.
- Listen to the Guide’s instructions and follow the guidelines given by him for a safe, smooth and enjoyable trekking experience.
- Refrain from consuming alcohol or any other intoxicants during the course of the trek.
- Do not bring any sort of non- biodegradable materials.
- Carry identification proof.
- Avoid carrying snacks and junk food
- Always pack light and carry only the essentials
- Do not use disposable plastic water bottles, plastic-wrapped items
- Do not trek during nights.
- Consult a physician to know whether the individual is fit enough to undertake the trek.
- Do not litter the local sites or campsites as the whole trek takes place through eco- friendly zones.
- Physical and mental preparation is essential, be ready to trek in high altitudes. Trekkers should be ready to trek in high altitude terrains and face rough weather and trek in harsh climate.
- Trekking crew is essential since they may help in dealing with any sort of emergencies that arise on the way.
- Getting a proper insurance is necessary and it should cover medical rescue evacuation in case of emergencies. It is advisable to have safety backup like oxygen pressurize altitude chamber in emergency cases.
- To prevent frostbites from extreme freezing temperatures, wear proper trekking boots and socks to keep warm.
- Always carry a couple of pairs of thermal innerwear.
- Avoid wearing more than one pair of socks to have good blood circulation.
- Wear track pants instead of denim jeans.
- Vision and contact lenses- A spare will help in case the one in use is damaged.
- Suture Kit- Kit is for use by local health care providers and requires a letter from the doctor on a letterhead stationery.
- The trip organizer reserves all the right to modify the trek during any emergencies or natural calamities.
- Medical / Clinical Items:
- Syringe Kit- ( for diabetics)
- Medical alert tags, necklace, bracelets ( for emergency identification)
- Antifungal ointments
- Insect bite ointments
- Bandages- Multiple sizes, adhesive tape and gauze
- Moleskin or molefoam for blisters
- Elastic compression bandage wrap for sprains and strains.
- Disposable gloves
- Digital thermometer
- Scissors and safety pins
- Eye drops
- Cotton swabs
- Oral rehydration drops
The HRTC (Himachal Road Transport Corporation) has good a/c, non a/c , deluxe and non-deluxe buses from Mcdeolganj to Delhi, Pathankot, Manali, Chandigarh and Dehradun. Buses start from the Tibetan colony, Manju Ka Tilla in Delhi and it takes around 13 Hrs.
Mcdeolganj is well connected with various cities and the following are the distances:
- Pathankot- Mcdeolganj: 90 Kms
- Manali- Mcdeolganj: 240 Kms
- Chandigarh-Mcdeolganj: 250 Kms
- Delhi-Mcdeolganj: 500 Kms
- Dehradun- Mcdeolganj: 400 Kms
- Jaipur-Mcdeolganj: 753 Kms
- There are lot of buses from Dharamshala, as it is located in the lower region. (Compared to Mcdeolganj).
- There are lot of shared taxis/ buses from Dharamshala- Mcdeolganj which is just 5 Kms away with a travel time of around 30 minutes.
- Mcdeolganj is well connected to nearby states through National Highway – NH 20.
- There are cars/ SUV vehicles from Dharamshala to Mcdeolganj, and travelers can hire taxis from the main market area of Mcdeolganj for travelling to various tourist destination.
- Travelers can also hire, auto rickshaws to commute within Mcdeolganj
- The roads are narrow and winding. So, travelers need a trained and alert driver to drive carefully.
Mcdeolganj can be reached by either air, train or road.
The nearest airport is the Gaggal airport which is at a distance of 15 Kms from Mcdeolganj. This airport has frequent flights to Kullu and the Delhi. From Delhi all the main destinations are well connected by flights.
The nearest railhead is the Pathankot railway station that is 90 Km from Mcdeolganj. In case travelers cannot reach this railhead there are two other railway stations (meter gauge) at Kangra and Nagrota. Kangra lies in the meter gauge section connecting Pathankot in Punjab to Jogindernagar in Himachal Pradesh. Besides, there are lot of daily trains between Delhi- Jammu and passengers can get down at Pathankot. Taxis and buses are available from these stations to reach Mcdeolganj.
There are lot of private and state owned buses that is run by the Himachal Pradesh Tourism Development Corporation (HPDTC) on a daily basis. Delhi is 530 km from Mcdeolganj and has deluxe buses. Chandigarh (275 km) and Dharamshala is 5 km from Mcdeolganj. Tourists can avail taxis till the Mcdeolganj bus stand to reach various places in the town. There are buses, minibuses that ply from Dharamshala to Mcdeolganj and to commute within the town.
Things To Carry
Some of the basic essentials recommended are:
- Comfortable footwear
- Comfortable warm clothes
- Insect repellent
- Gloves (inner fleece, water proof)
- Jackets or sweaters
- Warm T-shirts (full sleeve)
- Light micro fleece pullover
- Waterproof trekking pants
- Windproof/water resistant jackets
- Sleeping bags
- Down / Fleece jackets
- Thick fleece
- Trekking pants
- Full sleeve woolen pullover / Sweaters
- Thermal inner wear/bottoms
- Woolen cap
- Thick woolen socks and regular socks
- Bandara scarf/muffler (optional)
- Hiking / trekking shoes with a thick sole
- Trekking poles.
- Gore-Tex jackets
- Walking stick
- Cotton socks/sneakers
- Water purification filters
- Towel / small / Camp towel / sarong
- Duffel bags down/ synthetic camp booties
- Headlamp/flashlights with extra batteries
- Insulated water bottle
- Hydration pack
- Sun glasses
- Sunscreen Lotion
- Skin ointment
- Swiss army knife
- Sun hat/ baseball cap
- Video camera.
- Extra passport photos
- One liter water bottle wide open mouth
- Wind and rain gear with hoods
- Money pouch/ belts
- Note book with pen and pencils
- Energy bars
- Mobile charger and power banks
- Lip Balm
- Torch / Flashlight (with extra batteries)
- One pair cotton trousers or shorts
- Personal toiletries
- Personal medication
- Wet wipes (tissues and wipes) in the mountains is not advisable since these are not biodegradable, sanitary pads should be carried in a Ziploc bag and after using them dispose them after coming to the city.
- Travelers should carry a spoon, lunchbox and coffee mugs with them. If needed they can also bring their own cutlery set with them for hygienic reasons.
- Carry few extra plastic bags for wet clothes.
- Medications for common ailments:
- Diamox- To prevent acute mountain sickness
- Dexamethasone- One strip
- BP tablets as necessary
- Crocin- for fever
- Vitamin tablets for energy
- Avomine- to prevent motion sickness
- Avil- for allergies
- Combiflam- Painkiller
- Disprin- Headaches
- Norflox TZ and Lomofen- Diarrhoea
- Digene- for acidity
- Omez/ rantadine- antacids
- Crepe bandage- 3 to 5 meters
- Guaze- 1 small roll
- Band aid- 10 strips
- Cotton- 1 small roll
- Oral Rehydration solution fluids- 10 packets
- Betadine or any antiseptic cream
- Moov spray (aches and sprains).
Some of the inclusions of the trek are:
“The Moonwalk Hotel” and ” Quartz Hotel” are the two best hotels that are located in the heart of Himachal Pradesh, Mcdeolganj. These hotels offer the best comfort and convenience to the travelers who visit this place. These hotels are well maintained, and it is situated in the quaint and calm location in the lap of Himalayas. The following facilities are available:
- Hot and cold running water
- Attached bathrooms
- Mini bar
- Intercom service
- Free Wi-Fi
- Electric kettle
- Good parking service
- Coffee shop and multi cuisine restaurant.
- Spa and health clubs
Online travel portals provide lot of choices to book at their preferred time, cost, convenience and comfort. Trekkers should book early to avoid hassle free booking so that they can get the best hotels at the cheapest price and also avail some discounts.
The cuisine of the Kangra region is famously called the Pahari cuisine. Dishes prepared use spices, (cinnamon, pepper, red chilies and cloves) herbs and leafs and all the ingredients that is available in the forests of the Kangra region. The dishes here are prepared by expert chefs, and they are served on banana leaf. The vegetarian dishes are Colocasia patrodu, Khatta, Kali Dal, Channa Dal, Muli Ka Paratha, Sarson Ka Saag, Aloo Palda, Auriya Kadoo, Tudkiya Bhaat, Sweet rice, spicy lotus stem, Mittha, Rice and Poori. The non vegetarian dishes are Kullu Trout fish, Siddu, (made from mutton) Luchi Boti (made from lamb intestines), Chha Gosht, marinated fish. The cuisine of this region keeps the body warm and energizes the body and fit to be physically active. Locals also cultivate lot of wheat, buckwheat, cereals and pulses. One can see the influence of – Tibetan, Punjabi, Kashmiri cuisine here.
The other inclusions of the trek are:
- All necessary permits and entry fees for the trek.
- Triund Trek equipment like tent, sleeping bag etc (but for hygiene purpose, one can bring own sleeping bag, if you have).
- Safety equipment, first aid kit etc
- Service of an expert team
- Camping in Triund: Accommodation on a triple sharing basis and individual sleeping bags (couples will be given camps at twin sharing basis – subject to availability)
- Lunch and Dinner – on Day 1
- Breakfast – on Day 2
- Free Lockers and Resting room facilities at the Base Camp at Mcleodganj
- Porters are to carry only the tents and the equipments required for camping at Triund
- Common Toilet Tents
- Government & Forest Department Permits
- Personal expenses like tipping, telephone calls, laundry.
- Transportation to Mcleodganj and from Mcleodganj.
- Anything which is not mentioned in the Inclusions.
- Extra food apart from mentioned above.
- Any other transportation not Included in Inclusions.
- Porters to carry bags.
- Air / Bus / Railway tickets to Mcleodganj. However, travel assistance will be provided.
- Expenses arising due to Emergency / Evacuation / Unforeseen conditions beyond our control.
- Any other sports or activities not covered in the Inclusion.