About the Valley of Flowers:
The trek ranks as one of the most beautiful treks in the world with the blue PRIMULA flowers, and is aptly called as the “VALLEY OF FLOWERS”. The peak in high altitudes is a perfect spot for Mountaineers and adventure seekers. This place has a variety of flora and fauna, attractive flowers and the splendid views which will transport the trekkers to a different world with a background of majestic high cliffs and snow-capped mountains. This is the high grand Himalayas of the Garhwal District, Uttarakhand which surrounds this exquisite valley. The perfect time for Valley of Flowers Trek is during the months of mid-July to mid-August.
Valley of Flowers trek starts from an ascending to Govindghat, on the route to Hemkund Sahib and finally till the Ghangaria which is a challenging and an exciting climb. Trekkers capture a grand view of the majestic Himalayas. After reaching an altitude of 14,300 ft trekkers see a huge clear water lake which is a sheer treat to the eyes and surely everyone will watch the same with awe for a long time. This secret crowning jewel is a unique habitat and home to different kinds of species of wildflowers like saxifrages, seams, lilies, poppy, calendular, daisies, geranium, zinnia and petunia.
Trekkers also encounter a variety of colorful butterflies during the Valley of Flowers trek. The valley is situated at an altitude of over 3250 m and serves as a main zone to the Nanda Devi Biosphere Reserve spread over a lush expanse of 87.5 sq km which is a colorful paradise on earth full of alpine flowers. Mythological legends believe it to be a place where Lord Hanuman had gone to collect the Sanjeevini Buti with healing properties to cure Laxman. Trekkers can listen sounds of different birds chirping and also the buzzing sounds of streams in full flow. The peaceful and captivating beauty attracts nature lovers and photographers. This ” VALLEY OF FLOWERS” was declared as a National park in 1982 and is considered a “WORLD HERITAGE SITE”. Trekkers see different kinds of endangered species like an Asiatic black bear, brown bear, snow leopard and blue sheep. The tranquil backdrop of the majestic mountains, and the picturesque track, will definitely give trekkers a feeling of being amidst ” LAND OF FAIRIES”.
About the Valley of Flowers Trek:
An amalgam of dazzling snow capped Himalayan mountains, green and lush meadows, and silver-white clouds make up the “VALLEY OF FLOWERS”. Located at an altitude of 14,400 ft Valley of Flowers trek was first discovered by a British Traveler Frank Smith in 1931. The trek route is filled with flowers and starts at Govindghat, and then passes through Joshimath and the trekkers finally reach Hemkund Sahib. The Valley of Flowers trek is suitable for beginners as well as enthusiastic trekkers. The streams that meander through the valley, and the high altitude tranquil lake, “HEMKUND” at 4329 mts gives an exotic and exquisite overview of the flora and fauna of the region. This lake is a spiritual place for both “SIKHS AND HINDUS”.
The trails will be steeper but the beauty of the seven (Saptarishi) snow-capped mountains will make trekkers feel more charmed and thrilled. Capture the beauty of the of the Hathi parvat and Saptarishi peaks and see the beautiful small stream of Himganga that originates from this lake. The spiritual leader “GURU GOVIND SINGH THE TENTH GURU OF SIKH SAINT“, had kept deep penance on the banks of this lake. In the final lap, the trekkers go from Ghangaria to Govindghat and then to Joshimath. The trek from Ghangaria will be steep but gives trekkers some of the most splendid views of the region. This Valley of Flowers trek takes trekkers to see some of the worlds’ most enchanting and splendid wildlife that will be a cherished throughout their lifetime. While driving from Govindghat to Joshimath trekkers can see the confluence of “ALAKNANDA AND BHAGIRATHI” rivers to form the river “GANGES” while passing through the “DEVPRAYAG”. During the trek, it will be good to explore “AULI” if time permits. In short, the valley of flowers provides an unending surprise package for the trekkers. One can spend a quiet time in the lap of nature to re-energize with pleasant thoughts and memories.
Some of the highlights of this trek are:
- Valley of Flowers trek has the abundant beauty of exotic flowers and this will lead trekkers to small streams and rivulets.
- Trekkers get a chance to explore the diverse flora and fauna of the region like saxifrages, sediams, lilies, poppy, calendula, daisies, and wildlife like brown bear, snow leopard, blue sheep (Bharal).
- See the giant and majestic peaks of Hathi parvat and Saptarishi peaks.
- Interact with the local people to learn about their culture.
- At the Hemkund Sahib, many trekkers take a holy dip to purify their soul.
- Enjoy and get amazed by the lakeside camping and spend the night here.
- Key Facts About the Trek:
- Region: Chamoli, Uttarakhand.
- Starting Point: Joshimath
- Ending Point: Joshimath
- Duration: 6 Days and 5 Nights
- Ideal Time: June. Flowers are in full bloom during the first week of June every year which is the right time to visit this place. The region is not accessible during other months due to dense snowfall.
- Level: Easy- Moderate
- Total Distance: 47 Km.
- Maximum elevation: Valley of Flowers Trek at an altitude of 14,100 feet at Hemkund Sahib and around 6,240 ft at Govind Ghat. This is a high altitude trek and requires acclimatization before undertaking the trip.
- Weather: Day temperatures are usually warm between 12*C-20*C and pleasant, and nights are cold. (-4°C – -10°C).
- Communication: Connectivity is very limited and trekkers experience weak signals of BSNL network in Ghangaria. Other networks are only occasionally available.
- ATM Points: The last ATM point in this route is Joshimath
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How should I reach Valley of Flowers National Park base camp?
To start Valley of Flowers Trek, first you have to reach Railway station in Haridwar, then one of our representative will take you to Govindghat (Base Camp of Valley of Flowers National Park).
2. What is the best time to do Valley of Flowers Trek?
The Valley showcases beautiful view throughout the year. But it is recommended to do Valley of Flowers Trek in July or September as monsoon rains allows flowers to bloom during this time.
3. How much difficult is Valley of Flowers Trek?
The Valley of Flowers Trek is considered to be one of the easiest treks available in India. It takes 5 to 6 days to complete the trek with steep climb from Ghangaria to easy climb further on.
4. How much fit one should be for Valley of Flowers Trek 2019?
As Valley of Flowers is bit easy trek as compared to other Himalayan Treks, one is advised to start physical exercises for preparation of the trek. Yoga and pranayama will definitely help in terms of stamina. Moreover, trekkers can start morning/evening walk with staircase climbing in order to get 100% fit for the trek.
5. What kind of clothing is suggested during Valley of Flowers Trek?
As you will be trekking in the months of July/August/September, you are advised to carry Raincoat for safety in monsoon situations. During this time, in Garhwal terrain, there will be enough cold to bring woolen sweater, thermal wear, windproof jacket etc.
6. Can I do smoking or drinking during the trek?
It is not advisable to consume liquor or smoking at higher altitudes.
7. What kind of Food or water will be provided during the Valley of Flowers trek?
Vegetarian meals will be provided during the trek, which will include breakfast, lunch, evening snacks and dinner. Moreover, fresh drinking water will be provided throughout this beautiful Himalayan Trek.
8. How many people will be staying with me in my tent?
You will share your tent with 2 other people in this trek. Moreover, if you are a couple then a separate tent can be provided to you with extra charges applicable.
9. What is the minimum number of days required for Valley of Flowers?
Starting and ending points of Valley of Flowers Trek is Haridwar (Uttarakhand). It takes approx 7-8 hours to reach Joshimath from Haridwar on a 2356 km long stretch. From Joshimath, one is required at least 3-4 days to complete the trek.
10. What kind of shoes will be perfect for Valley of Flowers Trek 2019?
– Shoes must be water proof
– Shoes must be High Ankle
– Must be comfortable
– Must not be slippery
– Carry 5-6 Pairs of Socks
11. Can we visit Hemkund Sahib en-route to Valley Of Flowers?
Yes, you can visit Hemkund Sahib on the third of the Valley Of Flowers Trek 2019. Hemkund Sahib is located at the altitude of 4239 meters and it is one of the most beautiful Sikh Gurudwara in the world, as it is surrounded by nature’s scenery.
12. How is the weather of valley of flowers?
Weather is really pleasant during the Valley of Flowers Trekking. If you are planning to trek in summers then you may experience rain, so bring your raincoat. However, if you are planning to trek in winters then you may experience snow and high Himalayan cold.
13. Is this a good trek for First-Timers?
Yes, It is advisable to go for Valley of Flowers Trek 2019, if it is your first time. It’s just 3 km of the beginning are difficult, rest of trail is beautiful and easy.
14. What medicines should i carry during this trek?
You must carry basic medical kit with you, few of the are listed below –
– Medicine for Fever & Cold
– Medicine for Dehydration & Motion Sickness
– Any other medicine prescribed by your doctor.
15. Will there be any mobile connectivity during the trek?
No, there will not be any mobile connectivity during the trek, except Haridwar or Joshimath. It is advisable to bring extra batteries for your phone, to capture beautiful scenic views of Valley of Flowers National Park.